College Republicans not to blame for jeers, arson

This letter is in response to the “Weekend of intimidating behavior” written by the College Democrats. As Chairman of the MSU College Republicans Chapter, I feel that it is my duty to stand up for the reputation of our organization. In no way were any of the negative actions directed toward the College Democrats supported by the College Republicans.
    I understand that the College Democrats have not accused the College Republicans of taking part in the obscene gestures, throwing of ice and tinfoil or burning of their float. However, Tuesday’s paper failed to mention this and it led many students to believe that we were involved. Omitting the fact that College Republicans are neither responsible for these actions nor are being blamed is misleading and slanderous against our organization.
    College Republicans promotes political awareness and political activism regardless of ideology. The College Republicans and College Democrats have established a strong professional relationship and there is a healthy and friendly competition among our groups. Yes, we have different political ideologies and support different candidates, but we have no unwholesome or malicious feelings toward them.
    The MSU College Republicans Chapter has an exemplary reputation on campus, throughout Mississippi and across the United States. I hope that no one would wrongly assume that we had any part in the negative actions directed toward the College Democrats.
    Unfortunately, because of the vague accusations in Tuesday’s paper, I’m afraid that was the assumption. After receiving numerous phone calls and questions regarding whether we had anything to do with the destruction of their float, it was obvious the issue needed to be addressed. By not addressing the issue, College Republicans would be assuming blame for actions we did not commit nor had any part of. These inaccurate assumptions would unfairly damage our reputation and hinder our work in re-electing George W. Bush as president of the United States.
    The College Republicans also received several obscene gestures and vulgar language thrown in our direction during the parade. We are fully aware that when you take a political stance, these things are sure to come with the territory.
    Let it be known that I am a dyed-in-the-wool Republican and by no means will I be labeled an “enemy of freedom.” I encourage the College Democrats to continue their work and discourage those who performed these negative actions. There are constructive ways to demonstrate support for a candidate or disagreement with another ideology. The College Republicans will continue to promote and engage in healthy competition. However, arson, property damage and personal injury are not my particular cup of tea, even in the name of political ideology.
    I would like to take this opportunity to announce that we will be showing “Celsius 41.11” Oct. 26 and “Farhenhype 9/11” Oct. 27. The location is to be announced. Admission will be free and the movie will start at 7:30 p.m.
    Lindsey Tew is the chairman of the MSU College Republicans.