Football program response #6

I was compelled to write this letter in regards to last issue’s letter loathing MSU football. Granted, I am distraught by the shortcomings of the football team over the past few seasons, but that is absolutely no reason for a student or alumni to be ashamed to be from this great university. To begin with, Mississippi State University is more than a college, it is a family. As such, love, respect, and support are the only sentiments that a true member of this family could have. Secondly, I ask, how can one be ashamed of a nationally ranked basketball program that has students lined up for hours to get tickets and enter the Humphrey Coliseum? Does it not fall under the umbrella of MSU? Thirdly, sports should have no bearing on one’s affection for their Alma Mater. Advances in fields such as Architecture, Agriculture, Engineering, Physics, and Veterinarian Medicine (just to name a few) are improving the quality of life for all Americans as well as humanity. Is this not a basis for pride, perhaps love? Frankly, I am appalled that anyone that graduated from this great institution could have sentiments of such a deprecating nature. I am a student now and I have great hope for the football program under its new leadership, leadership that will prosper only with the support and love of its student body and alumni. I believe that our University is worthy of love even through temporary shortcomings if not only for the improvement of that area, but for the wonderful achievements of all of the other facets that make up Mississippi State University.
    David Donovan is a junior in architecture.