Don’t lose your voice, Democrats

As Americans we are bombarded with choices every day. Most of the time we have so many choices we cannot possibly consider them all before we make a decision. However, the problem with having that many choices is that we never have to stick with our choice. There is always someone or something waiting to replace our first choice.
    In the case of the election, America made its choice. This is the choice we must stick with for four years. There has been a lot of blubbering and moaning going on about that decision. A lot of people say the wrong decision was made.
    But I figure that by now you have all gotten the irrational wailing out of your system. You have had a good two weeks or so to finish your bouts of anger, outrage, disbelief and in some cases mourning. Good, now that the pettiness is over we can get ready for the next four years. The time for irrational behavior is past.
    Does what I just said make you mad? I called your disappointment regarding the election irrational and petty. That is what I was going for. The reason half the voters are disappointed is not irrational. Remember why you cared about the election to begin with?
    The issues.
    The issues have not gone away and in no way have been decided. Kerry might have conceded the election, but he did not concede his beliefs about the issues. He has not just given up because he did not win. Neither should you.
    You may not think one voice has much power against a Republican president and Congress, but what about the other half of the nation that agrees with you? That is certainly more than one voice. This is not the time to throw your hands in the air and declare the country hopeless. As long as there are people fighting for what is right, the situation can never be hopeless.
    What does every politician want? To be re-elected, of course. The election races were very close as we all know. If politicians do not turn a kind ear toward all their constituents, they may just find themselves without a job after the next election. It is up to every one of you to speak out, be heard and give them that other viewpoint to consider.
    While in Ireland this summer, I saw this painted on a wall: “In ugly times protest is beautiful.” Is that not true everywhere? Do not just sit back and let your country be run in spite of you; let it be run for you.
    I have heard lots of talk about people disappointed with the election heading to Canada, moving overseas or just sulking for four years. Running away is not the way to keep this country free and operating as a democracy. Part of being a democracy means everyone has a chance to be heard, not just the loudest voice. Make sure you have something to say. Do not just give up and retreat with your tail between your legs because you think you have done your part and lost.
    Casting your ballot is not the end of your civil obligation. If you let things just happen as they are projected then you are effectively losing your country. If you let things happen that you do not agree with just because they do not immediately concern you and do not raise your voice in dissent, you might as well be speaking for it.
    Am I calling for a revolution? Sure. Arm yourself with intelligence and be articulate, and people will listen.
    Consider the words of Martin Niemoller, haunted by the atrocities committed during the Holocaust: “First the came for the socialists, and I did not speak out-because I was not a socialist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out-because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out-because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me-and there was no one left to speak for me.”
    You do not have to be gay to care about civil rights. You do not have to have had or be planning to have an abortion to care about womens’ rights. One day the decisions your elected officials make will affect you. Make sure you have someone to stand for you.
    Adrienne Howse is a junior communication major. She can be reached at [email protected].