Architecture, Art and Design students showcase work

Students from the College of Architecture, Art, and Design will display their work from Thursday to the end of November.
    A reception at Giles Hall Thursday from 5:30-7:30 p.m. will commence the event.
    The invitational in the gallery of Giles Hall is exhibiting work from students in each of the three programs within the new college. The invitational is the first event that has included students from the entire college since the department of art, the college of architecture and the department of interior design merged this year.
    Josh Hailey, who organized the event with a gallery management class in the art department, said that the invitational is designed to unite students in the college.
    Art professor and director of the McComas gallery Bill Andrews said he thinks that the exhibition is an important step in the organization of the college.
    “We saw it as an important way of bringing the college together for faculty and students to see what everyone else does,” Andrews said.
    The invitational includes work from over 60 students that were chosen by faculty members in each program. Every faculty member in the college was given invitations to give to two students that they felt displayed excellent work.
    “Students were chosen based on their academics and their ability to put work in the show,” Hailey said. “They were allowed to put any type of work in the show, so we have an eclectic media that can appeal to anyone.”
    Visitors to the invitational can see projects that include drawings, paintings, sculptures, models and full scale construction projects in the gallery.
    “The exhibition really informs the students and faculty in all three programs of what the students are doing,” Jane Greenwood, associate dean of the College of Architecture, Art, and Design said. “It is a good venue for the college to come together.”
    Carly Allen, a third year architecture student, was chosen by Professor Michael Berk to participate in the invitational. Allen included drawings and models of her design of a modern dwelling unit in the exhibition.
    “It gave me an idea of what a broad spectrum of work is produced within the college,” Allen said. “I got a chance to see interesting work that we do not get to do in architecture.”
    “We are going to continue this every year. It will be nice when the college has a combined gallery,” Hailey said.
    The architecture program has a gallery in Giles Hall and the art program has a gallery in McComas Hall, but the interior design program does not have a gallery.
    As part of Mississippi State’s 20-year master plan, the college will be located in a combined location around Giles Hall. As part of the combination the college will have a combined gallery that will be easily accessible to faculty, students and visitors.
    The reception is open to anyone who would like to see the work, and the display can been seen any time that the architecture library is open. The library is open from 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 2-5 p.m. Saturday and 2-10 p.m. Sunday.