Dawgs prepare for hoops homecoming at The Garden

After struggling through its first two games in Birmingham, Ala., in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, the Mississippi State Bulldogs got rewarded with a trip to New York City to play in Madison Square Garden for the semifinals of the tournament. Oh, there’s just one catch. They play sixth-ranked Syracuse in what is basically a home game for the Orange.
    Gary Ervin isn’t worried, though.
    “We’ve got confidence from last year’s “Road Warriors,” the point guard said.
    Of course, why should he be worried? He’s going home to play before some hometown friends and family.
    The Brooklyn native will play in the Big Apple for the first time since playing in the city championship for Robeson High School.
    “Yeah, I’m going to be calling my friends,” Ervin said. “My family has been asking, ‘When are you coming to New York?’ Well, now I’m coming.”
    Ervin said that while he’ll enjoy seeing his friends and family, the trip is all about basketball.
    “It’s cool to see my family, but once I step on the court, it’s all business,” Ervin said.
    Ervin said that he does have a score to settle with Madison Square Garden itself.
    “I’m 0-2 in the Garden (playing in city championships in high school) but I plan on breaking that record,” Ervin said.
    Another homecoming of sorts will be the return of Lawrence Roberts to his home, the starting lineup.
    After sitting out the first two games of the season due to a suspension and a broken nose, Roberts said that he is 100 percent sure that he will play Thursday against Syracuse.
    “I’m excited and ready to play,” said Roberts. “Hopefully I can practice on Monday as long as I get the doctor’s clearance and will be ready to play on Thursday. My (protective) mask finally came in and that’s what I was waiting for.”
    There will be a third homecoming celebrated at Madison Square Garden on Thursday night. Mississippi State basketball is going back to the place where it put itself on the map as a legitimate title contender.
    The Bulldogs played talent-laden 11th ranked Xavier in The Garden on Dec. 14, 2002, and absolutely throttled them. The Dawgs held the Musketeers to 15 first-half points and went on to win 71-61. Combine that with a 54-45 victory over fifth ranked Oklahoma two weeks later, and the Bulldogs were on the national map to stay.
    Head coach Rick Stansbury has fond memories of the historical trip to the Big Apple two years ago.
    “I just remember it was Mario Austin’s coming out party,” Stansbury said, alluding to Austin’s 28-point performance in his first game back from a six-game suspension. “We could not have played any better than we did that day.”
    The Bulldogs will have to play the same way against Syracuse, because despite the series of homecomings for the Bulldogs, don’t expect the Orange to put the welcome mat out and leave the light on for them.