Votes do not accomplish change

Your vote is counted, but it will not count for much. Observe the two choices: Bush has trouble with fourth grade vocabulary, and Kerry couldn’t make a decision with a gun pressed on his forehead. Stay at home today.
    There are five reasons not to vote. First, the candidates are manipulative. These two men simply tell you what you want to hear.
    Bush talks about his Christianity. He says he prays all the time. Bush also wants a safe America. He talks about the brazen terrorists. He will hunt them down with an iron fist. Does this impress you? If you are a Christian or a worried citizen, it certainly does. Bush uses his “religion” and fear tactics to get your vote.
    Likewise, Kerry mutters about equality for minorities and more stability for the middle class. He promises a balanced budget, healthcare for everyone, a higher minimum wage and more educational opportunities if he is elected. Yet Kerry claims he will never raise taxes for the working class.
    Obviously, higher taxes will be inevitable for Kerry’s outrageous promises, but he’s getting your vote, so it doesn’t matter.
    Our candidates have one aim. They want to win, and they will say anything for your approval. Power hungry elitists should not impress or influence citizens; candidates should tell the truth, yet honesty cannot have a role in winning the big one.
    Secondly, our system presents only two probable winners: Republican or Democrat. Sure, Nader will get his small percentage, but let us think realistically.
    In actuality, the system forces logical voters to choose from opposite ideologies: conservatism or liberalism. This separation undermines progression.
    Two opposites do not make a positive in government. America lacks compromise and objectivity in key areas, which hinders societal improvement. Look at our present state-we are more divided than ever. Why? Two ridiculous extremes never help.
    When you vote for one of two extremes, you ask for problematic decision-making and internal fragmentation. How can America improve quickly with two bickering parties?
    Thirdly, if you do not vote, you have more right to complain. This statement often becomes contorted, but look at this point rationally.
    When you vote a manipulative animal into office, things will go astray. The voter makes the slip-ups of the American government possible. When politicians exacerbate the monumental debt, the voters are responsible. When politicians trade our liberty for “safety” with new government factions, the voters are responsible. When politicians take our money to keep rapists, murderers and other miscreants “secure” in jail, the voters are responsible. When politicians find it necessary to stick America’s nose into the affairs of other nations, the voters are responsible. The politicians redefine our rights, destroy economic stability, break promises, hide information and keep us working under them. Voters pat them on the back.
    On the other hand, a non-voter cannot accept blame for political blunders. Non-voters are politically innocent. The voters have less right for complaints. They keep this erroneous formula breathing.
    Fourthly, federal power controls our lives more than state power. Our country is plagued by extremist foundations, prestigious societies and growth-stunting agencies. Americans give away their freedom by letting guilty white father-figures milk federal power.
    Have you watched the debates? These candidates talk about spending, security, government plans and passing out drugs. It’s about them going to the bank and keeping citizens complacent.
    When a candidate stops talking about himself and begins a speech on excessive federal power and the pathetic condition of our brainwashed society, cast your vote.
    Fifthly, mathematically, the voting system remains flawed. A knowledgeable vote counts the same as an ignorant vote. I am not pushing elitism. I am pushing realization and education.
    Do you know what accomplishes more than a vote? Your ideas and actions. This nation needs reform. Join together as one people. Ignore the media and analyze the injustices of our system. Make a difference with the written and spoken word. Demand change. You have the resources.
    But go ahead and vote this year. Then look back in four years and see if we are more happy or free. You can keep striving for the American Dream.
    Just keep in mind dreams are not real.
    Jed Pressgrove is a junior communications major. He can be reached at [email protected].