Event brings athletics to local girls

The Sanderson Center hosted “Girl’s Sports Day” on Saturday to support women in sports. The one-day event invited girls, ages 6-18, to participate in a variety of sports.
    “We decided to give people the opportunity to learn about the different sports and activities for women,” said event coordinator, Laura Walling. “We have had an amazing turnout.”
    Two hundred eighteen girls attended the event.
    Activities included aerobics and rock climbing, conducted by Sanderson staff members. MSU athletes held mini-volleyball and soccer clinics.
    “I came because I have a brother that goes to school here and I like to play sports,” said participant Laura Argo. “It has been a lot of fun.”
    Tammy Argo, Laura’s mom, said, “I wanted to bring my daughter and let her see the university. She enjoys playing sports and I thought this would be an event that she would really enjoy and would need to take part in.”
    Several female student athletes came to sign autographs and give out posters and schedule cards to the girls.
    “It is good to see so many girls wanting to support women athletes,” said Bulldog soccer player, Sheri Toler. “I did not realize this many people would be here.”
    “We just wanted to provide a fun and exciting atmosphere for these girls,” said Beth Tuck, a graduate assistant. “Everyone looks like they had a great time, and that is what we wanted.”
    Participants received tickets to the Lady Bulldog softball game that afternoon and the Lady Bulldog basketball game on Sunday.