Deer herd reports no CWD

Chronic Wasting Disease belongs in the same group as sour milk and Ole Miss fans. There simply isn’t anything good that can come out of it. Luckily, the state of Mississippi has yet to report a positive case of the disease in its deer herd.
    In a recent study by the state, biologists tested 962 white-tailed deer for the disease and each test came back with negative results. Samples were taken randomly throughout the state from Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) cooperators, wildlife management areas and landowners in 67 counties across the state.
    It is a degenerative disease that attacks the central nervous system of deer. The disease is one of a group of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). Deer that suffer from the disease usually separate themselves from a group. As the disease progresses, the deer will become skinny, salivate, drink and urinate excessively.
    The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks has instilled a plan that hopes to keep the dreaded disease out of the state. Each year the state agency will randomly survey approximately 1,500 deer in order to monitor the deer herd for the disease.
    Hunters may be asked to contribute to the monitoring process by voluntarily submitting harvested deer heads to the state for testing.
    The Mississippi legislature is also doing its part to help control the spread of the disease. In 2003, the legislature passed a law that banned the translocation and importation of white-tailed deer in Mississippi. Also, wildlife officials now have access to test dead animals for it on public and private lands throughout the state. Finally, land owners that prevent white-tailed deer from leaving their property by putting up high fenced areas must be registered with the state agency.
    While biologists and lawmakers are doing their part to control the disease, hunters can also contribute to the cause by following these steps:
    * Avoid shooting, handling or consuming any deer that appears sick. Contact the state agency at (601) 432-2400 if you see or harvest a deer that appears sick.
    * Wear latex gloves when field dressing or processing deer.
    * Avoid eating, or contact with, the brain, spinal cord, spleen, lymph nodes or eyes of the animal.
    * Cut through the spinal cord only when removing the head of the animal. Use a knife designated specifically for this purpose.
    * Bone out meat to avoid cutting into or through bones. Remove all fat and connec tive tissue to avoid lymph nodes.
    * Dispose of all carcass material, including the head, in a landfill or pit dug for carcass disposal only.
    * Disinfect knives and other processing equipment I a 50 percent bleach solution for a minimum of one hour.
    With biologists, hunters and lawmakers working together to monitor the disease, Mississippi is taking all the precautions necessary to ensure the health of its deer herd for the future.
    For more information about the disease, visit www.cwd-info.org.
    *Information about CWD provided by Chad Dacus and Larry Castle.
    Jake Fagan can be reached at < href=”mailto:[email protected]”>[email protected].