Volunteer to help out Bulldog Benefit 2004

What are you doing on Saturday, March 6? If you are anything like the 500 volunteers who turned out for Bulldog Benefit 2003, you might be painting, cleaning or mulching for the people of Starkville.
    In only a few hours, they improved over 20 different sites around the community and, in the process, helped families, community agencies, school children and entire neighborhoods.
    Three hours of your time is a small sacrifice for the huge benefits you will reap.
    In the fall of 2002, the Student Association wanted to create a project that would unite the campus in service to the community. Bulldog Benefit was born.
    Bulldog Benefit 2004 will mark the second year this Saturday of service has been held, and it promises to be bigger and better than before.
    Volunteers will gather on the Drill Field at 8:30 a.m. on March 6 to receive maps to their assigned locations. They will also eat a snack before beginning work at 9:00. Work will conclude at 12:00, and we will meet again on the Drill Field by 12:30 to eat pizza, present service awards and draw for prizes.
    For those who have not been a part of Bulldog Benefit in the past, explaining the basic premise is easy. We find places in the community that need help, like schools and churches. We find campus organizations with student members who have a few hours and a desire to serve in the community. Then, we match the two for a morning of service.
    One might guess that if students are willing to give their Saturday morning to the community, there must be a draw. The fact of the matter is, the potential rewards are numerous:
    * Bulldog Benefit is a way of thanking the community for their support. This year more than any other year in recent memory, the community of Starkville has demonstrated time and again their willingness to work with Mississippi State and shape Starkville into a town that meets the needs of students.
    By supporting projects like Bulldog Bash, the Downtown Music Festival and the new Night Route shuttle system, the community has reached out to students. This is our chance to give back.
    * Bulldog Benefit is a great service project for groups and campus organizations. For campus organizations looking for an easy way to make a difference, this is the project for you. We organize the projects and even feed your volunteers-all you have to do is sign up and show up. Organizations should call the Student Association at 325-3917 by Wednesday, Feb. 11, to take advantage of this opportunity.
    * Your mother will be proud. I need not explain that there is no feeling quite like the feeling of helping others. If you take the time to be a part of Bulldog Benefit 2004, I promise that it will be an unforgettable and rewarding experience.
    If warm fuzzies and community spirit are not enough to motivate you, there is more:
    * Volunteers will get pizza, snacks, t-shirts and prizes while supplies last. Thanks to support from community sponsors and the SA, we will have plenty of snacks and beverages.
    We have food to keep your energy up throughout the morning, pizza when you finish and prizes to show appreciation for your work. Bulldog Benefit T-shirts will be given to the first 300 volunteers on the Drill Field.
    The reasons to participate are abundant. By supporting this event, you can help Starkville and demonstrate that college students are active, caring and productive members of the community.
    Don’t miss this opportunity to get involved in Bulldog Benefit 2004, the largest community service event of the year.
    Call the Student Association at 325-3917 and sign up today, or e-mail me with your questions at [email protected]. Also, if you know of community groups or organizations that could put a large number of enthusiastic volunteers to work, feel free to contact me.
    When MSU and Starkville come together, everyone benefits.
    Holli Hitt is a senior communication major. She can be reached at [email protected].