Men’s tennis closes on road

The 37th-ranked Mississippi State men’s tennis team concludes its regular season this weekend with its final two Southeastern Conference matches, traveling to face No. 16 Kentucky on Friday and No. 24 Vanderbilt on Sunday.
    The Bulldogs (7-10, 2-7 SEC) are trying to end a seven-match losing streak. State hasn’t won since defeating No. 41 Notre Dame on March 13 in the Big 10 Tires Blue-Gray National Collegiate Classic. MSU won its first two SEC matches over Auburn and Alabama, but has since gone winless in conference play.
    State travels to Lexington on Friday to face the 16th-ranked Wildcats. Kentucky brings a 16-7 overall and 6-3 mark into play. The ‘Cats have won five of their last seven matches.
    The MSU netters will then make their way to Nashville to face the Commodores (13-10, 5-5 SEC). The Commodores feature four players in the top 100, including senior Chad Harris, who is ranked 24th nationally.
    State last played on Saturday, dropping a 7-0 decision to the No. 5 Mississippi Rebels in Oxford. The Bulldogs were once again without senior All-American Romain Ambert, who missed his fifth singles match in State’s last seven outings with an ankle injury. Ambert’s status for this weekend is unknown.
    State is fighting to avoid last place in the SEC. MSU and Alabama both hold 2-7 SEC records. The Bulldogs will also be fighting for seeding in the SEC Tournament in Nashville beginning Thursday, April 22.