Austin bands play Rick’s fundraiser

Honeybrowne and Roger Creager will bring their Texas sound to Rick’s Caf tomorrow night.
    The show will help raise money for the Old Main Park project, with all proceeds from the door going into the project fund.
    The Old Main Park, which will be located between McCool Hall and Allen Hall on campus, is being built as part of a senior class gift to the university.
    The park will be home to a $66,000 Sonny Montgomery statue, for which funds have already been raised.
    Money from all other fundraisers, including tomorrow night’s show at Rick’s, will go toward the building of the park. Old Main Park project coordinator Thomas Gregory said getting students involved in the process is important.
    “We’re trying to raise money to see the park built and we really want the student body to feel like they’re part of this effort,” Gregory said.
    Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Caf, offered to donate the door proceeds from tomorrow night’s show to the Old Main Park effort. He also said the show should be great.
    “Roger Creager is in the same Texas country scene as Pat Green and Corey Morrow,” Welch said. “He opened for Wayne Mills a while back at Rick’s and I was very impressed.”
    Welch said Honeybrowne falls under the same musical category as Creager.
    “With Honeybrowne and Roger Creager on the same stage on the same night, it’s going to be a great night of music,” Welch said.
    Travis Wolfe, co-director of external events for the Student
    Association, said Honeybrowne’s youth gives them an advantage over a number of the artists in the alternative country genre.
    “Since they’re young it adds a spirit of rock to their country music,” Wolfe said. “It should be a good show.”