Tips from ‘The Mexican’

I saw the film “The Mexican” one time, about two years ago. Since seeing it, I have not forgotten a certain line that the co-star, played by Julia Roberts, asks her boyfriend, played by Brad Pitt. Before going into the quote, I’ll give you some background info on the movie.
    “The Mexican” tells the story of Jerry, a gangster, who is turning cartwheels to complete his last job. He must bring an ancient Mexican gun into the United States.
    The legendary gun is being sought after by a number of other hooligans. While Jerry is in Mexico finding the gun, his disapproving girlfriend, Samantha, is kidnapped. If that isn’t enough, they have a hard time finding an equilibrium in their relationship. Samantha despises Jerry for placing her second in his priorities and Jerry despises Samantha for being constantly angry with him.
    While not an academy award winner, the movie does propose a question that lingers throughout the film. Samantha asks Jerry, “when two people are in love, but can’t get along, when do you call it quits?” “Never,” Jerry replies.
    What keeps them together? Is love ever really enough?
    Two years ago I was dealing with the same situation.
    My boyfriend and I fought daily about such things as a game of cards or taking a chicken nugget that belonged to the other-the epitome of immaturity. We always made up, however, and at the end of the day, there were always apologies and “I love you’s.” Well that got too much to handle and we called it quits.
    I’m certain many out there are experiencing a similar situation. Think of it as a movie.
    Setting: Where you are geographically plays a part. For example, we are college students surrounded, for the most part, by a college atmosphere. This, to me, is the most important factor to grasp. Love may not be enough right at the moment that you want it, but down the road, in a different setting is where it may perfectly fit.
    Characters: There will be the disapproving friends who always have opinions and judgements. True, what others say shouldn’t matter when you love someone, but if it’s a frequent two cents it might subconsciously affect things-especially when it’s a close friend whose opinion is held very highly.
    Plot: What is the story of the relationship? Is it’s meaning still obvious? To enjoy life together, love and maybe even make each other better people. When the plot of your relationship disappears, the love disappears.
    Backflash: The past is over. Recounting who did what to whom and why will do nothing but hold a relationship back. It opens the door for, “I don’t know if I can ever forgive you.” How can love be enough here without forgiveness?
    Obstacles may seem impossible get through, but if you get through them it will strengthen the relationship
    By the way, Samantha and Jerry figure out their relationship after and through the situations in the movie.