Student Health Center changes entrance, makes new policies

The Longest Student Health Center recently adopted an appointment system and constructed a new entrance in order to increase efficiency.
    The appointment system replaced the walk-in policy used by the Health Center in the past. The old system allowed patients to walk in and eventually be seen by a clinician, a member of the medical staff. With the new appointment policy, patients are required to have an appointment before seeing a clinician.
    “Students are encouraged to call ahead for an appointment,” nurse administrator Ella Frese said. “However, if they do walk in, we’ll try to get them an appointment and get them seated.
    “Most appointments take about 30 minutes, unless the patient needs lab work or X-rays or things such as that. The appointments are scheduled for 15 and 30 minutes depending on what the patient requires,” Frese said.
    Under the new policy, people without appointments are given the choice to take the next available appointment or return at a later time. Students are allowed to choose the clinician they would like to see, but by doing so, may be forced to wait longer.
    “[The appointment system] has been very effective for us,” Frese said. “Around 5:15 or 5:30 we are clear. We used to stay until 6 [p.m.] or later.”
    In a survey conducted by the Health Center, almost 70 percent of the students familiar with the former walk-in system agreed the appointment system was more effective.
    Some students in the waiting room shared their thoughts on the appointment only policy.
    “I think it’s OK. They took my friend on time,” said one student.
    Another student who tried to visit the Health Center earlier without an appointment returned with one later that same day. “I think [the appointment policy] would be good if they would take you on time,” said the student who had been waiting over half an hour.
    Another change at the Health Center occurred when the main entrance moved to the north side of the building facing the Stennis Institute.
    “At first there was a lot of confusion [about the new intrance],” Frese said. “We tried to correct that with banners and balloons. We want everybody to come to the front door.
    “The old doors opened into the patient care area, and we were having trouble with patient confidentiality. The new doors open into the front desk and from there students are dispersed to the correct area.
    “[The new entrance] is going to be much better–much better for confidentiality and much better for everything,” said Frese.
    For more information about the new policies of the Student Health Center or to make an appointment, call 325-7539.