Student aspires for state legislature

A strong desire to help people and a rare political opportunity may combine to take a Mississippi State student down a career path many can only dream of-politics.
    “This is a great opportunity to really help people,” Justin Sutton said of his run for the Mississippi House of Representatives. The senior communication major is a republican candidate to represent the state’s 74th House district.
    The new district lines-and the rare political opportunity-Sutton is taking advantage of are the boundaries of the newly drawn 74th House district. That district, like almost all in the state, was redrawn as part of the state’s redistricting process. Federal law requires all 50 states to reshape their political boundaries based on census numbers every decade.
    Sutton’s district, which is part of Madison and Rankin counties, includes his hometown of Brandon, currently represented by Rep. Clayton Smith. The new political lines will leave the 74th without an incumbent in the November 2003 election.
    “The line goes through the Crossgates subdivision,” Sutton said. “It made for the perfect opportunity.”
    He still lacks “a couple of documents” before his candidacy is certified, but he doesn’t expect any trouble in getting his name on the ballot. Sutton said he already faces another candidate in the republican primary, “and I expect there will be four or five by the election.”
    “Whoever wins the primary,” Sutton said, “it will be a republican victory. That is a very strong republican area, and I don’t even know if there will be any candidates for the democrats or independents.”
    Partisan politics is not one of Sutton’s concerns.
    “I think people enter politics because they want to serve the public. I think everybody wants to do what’s best,” Sutton said. “We just disagree on how to do what’s right.”
    Sutton said that his age is his primary obstacle, but he feels his youth can be used as an asset.
    “Being so young,” Sutton said, “I’m also not tied down by a family. Family isn’t a bad thing; it just means I’ll be able to devote all of my time to the people in my district.”
    Sutton said he got involved in politics when he was in high school. He was part of the teenage republicans, and with that organization, he worked on the last governor’s race and some other local races.
    Sutton’s campaign is based on three major issues, and each of them are expected to be a major part of this year’s election.
    “People like to talk about education, but nobody does anything about education,” Sutton said. “I watched a Starkville School Board meeting for my newswriting class … and the way they transferred money from one thing to another … really bothered me. Our classes are too large. We have too few teachers trying to serve so many students. Both my parents are teachers in a rural school, and they can never have the classes they want or get the supplies they need.”
    Sutton believes in access to the civil justice system, but that tort reform is needed in Mississippi.
    Sutton’s third issue is to make Congressional sessions more productive.
    “Every time we have a special session,” Sutton said, “we don’t get anything accomplished. They (the current legislature) took 83 days and didn’t do anything. They’re supposed to represent us. That’s their job. If you told your boss you needed overtime and still didn’t finish your work, you’d be fired. We’ve gotten very stagnant in Mississippi.”
    “I will be available to the people of my district,” Sutton said. “They deserve that.”
    “I wish I could say everyone’s been positive,” Sutton said, “but for the most part, people are fascinated by someone my age running for office.”
    “It has been a lot tougher than I expected,” Sutton said of the process.
    Sutton said he’s financed the campaign so far on money he’s saved during his time at Mississippi State. “I’ve talked to some members of the legislature who’ve told me you can run a campaign on a shoestring budged $3,000. That’s a number I’m shooting for. I’ve had a few people ask me how they can donate, and I’m still looking into the laws and tax implications. Hopefully, soon I can start taking that money.”
    Sutton does not have any kind of paid staff, and he said he does not plan to.
    “I’ve gotten a lot of help from people I know,” Sutton said.
    “Even if I lose,” Sutton said, “this race will bring me exposure for a future race. It may also lead to a job somewhere else in state government or with the (republican) party. You have to have a back-up plan.”
    “I want people to know this is not about power for me,” Sutton said. “I hope to make it all the way to the White House, and I’d love to be the first president from Mississippi. I don’t like the term career politician, but I will continue to serve as long as I’m elected. If I’m doing a good job, and the people continue to put their faith in me, I’ll go as long as they let me.”