Hunter Henry Alumni Center nears completion

Mississippi State University’s Hunter Henry Center is completing the final stages both internally and externally. Vice President for External Affairs Dennis Prescott has overseen the transformation from a useless lot to an approximately $8 million building with much potential.
    The new alumni building’s design does not resemble the designs of the other buildings on Mississippi State University’s campus, but its function is also different. With 14 different meeting spaces and a 300-seat ballroom, the Hunter Henry Center can be compared to a mini-conference center.
    “We’ve generated a lot of interest. The vast majority’s reaction has been positive. For all those skeptics, I ask you to come inside to appreciate the building before setting judgment,” Prescott said.
    “It’s so unusual looking that it won’t please everyone,” Prescott continued. It’s a real source of pride for the alumni.”
    One of the reasons the Hunter Henry Center came about was a lack of space in the old alumni facility.
    “We grew out of space at the Butler Williams Center, and there were no parking spaces for visitors,” Prescott said.
    Although the final completions are not expected until Jan. 31, weather permitting, several groups have already taken advantage of everything the building offers. In November, the center hosted a black-tie dinner for the donors who helped fund the building as the first official function, and later the Tennessee Valley Authority Board also met there. Recently, the university held a press conference at the alumni center to announce Dr. Charles Lee’s appointment to the presidency at MSU.
    “Moving in before it was completely ready would be a little challenging,” Prescott stated.
    Prescott said the MSU staff and the contractors have worked around one another and are on first-name basis.
    A variety of plants, including palm trees and magnolias, complement the design of the building.
    “With the site on the edge of campus, different varieties of architecture could be considered,” Prescott said. “It allowed freedom for architecture.”
    The site was selected before the design was decided. The three-acre lot was purchased from Mississippi State University by the MSU Foundation so that alcohol can be served on the premises.
    The Hunter Henry Center is open during business hours and welcomes visitors. The building can also be rented for private functions by contacting the MSU offices.