Voting shows concern for past, future

The right to vote in America is an issue that has been debated for decades. The founding fathers extended the right only to wealthy white men who owned property. Common whites, blacks and women were disenfranchised from the political process.
    Rifts in society formed as groups struggled for their rights. Many were made to feel like second-class citizens. The civil rights struggle ensued, and it along with many other events helped make steps toward equality in voting as well as equality in life.
    The right to vote was extended to minorities and women on paper, but not in practice. Scare tactics were often used to discourage political participation. Threat of violence, economic sanctions and absurd taxes such as the poll tax were used to keep certain groups from voting. Even so, with hard work and perseverance, everyone of legal age was eventually granted the right to vote.
    Now consider the current voting regulations in America. Everyone who is over the age of 18, a legal resident and not a convicted felon has the right to vote. Still , not many people take voting seriously, although it is a privilege many have died to protect.
    Voting is one of the most fundamental duties of a U.S. citizen. Yet only 50 percent of the eligible voters went to the polls in the last presidential election.
    The numbers on voter turnout decline even more sharply when it comes to state and local elections.
    In a democracy, everyone has the choice to vote or not to vote. However, one excludes himself from the process when he does not vote. Politicians will smile and grin in all day, but they could care less about you or your opinion if you are not voting.
    When large groups of people such as college students do not vote, their requests, issues and concerns may be ignored.
    Everyone should voice his or her opinion on Election Day. The next time someone complains about something, ask him if he voted in the last election. If the answer is yes, tell them to go ahead and complain because they earned the right to voice their opinion. They actively participated in choosing the person who would make decisions for them.
    If they answer no, tell them you do not want to listen because they had the chance to vote for someone who would have done a better job.
    Voting is a form of empowerment. One may ask, “What difference will my one little vote make?” Imagine if three thousand people had the same attitude and none of this group voted. That is a large voting block, especially in local and state elections.
    The American Association of Retired Persons is one of the most influential groups in the United States of America because the majority of its members exercise their right to vote. Elected officials know that ignoring the AARP, as well as any other big interest groups, would almost guarantee their losing whatever position they may hold.
    I hope everyone will go out to vote on November 4.
    Whether Democrat or Republican, white or black, Catholic or Protestant, I hope everyone will go out and exercise what is called a right but is actually a privilege.
    Nyerere Tryman is a graduate student in Public Policy and Administration. He can be reached at [email protected].