Bowen Hall construction hinders traffic

Mississippi State University has temporarily closed the Bowen-Patterson access street, due to the renovation of Bowen Hall.
    The street runs between Bowen Hall, the Band Hall and the Patterson Engineering Laboratory.
    The original renovation period was estimated to be around one year. A contact from West Brothers Construction, the company contracted to remodel Bowen, said the completion date has been pushed back. The exact date is currently unavailable.
    The 74-year-old Bowen Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus. While Bowen is under complete renovation, no additions are being added to the building.
    The office of university relations said the renovation includes new floors, new walls, new restrooms and roof repair to fix the leaking roof.
    Primarily political science, sociology, anthropology and social work classes were all located in the building. All the classes that normally would be located in Bowen hall have been relocated throughout campus for the duration of the renovation.
    Consequently, freshman Bill Callahan said he experienced some confusion with his schedule.
    “My schedule said my class was in Allen but in my classroom there was a sociology class. I was never notified by the school of the change so I ended up missing my first day of class,” said Callahan.
    The renovation seems to be a slight inconvenience for students trying to commute around Bowen Hall. One student, who asked not to be named, said that it has been an inconvenience because they have had to park down the street when walking to the band hall. The student also said that it would be a relief when Bowen hall and the street are reopened.
    Faculty in Bowen were pleased iwith the renovation, said Racy Britt, staff assistant in the political science department.
    “We know that in the end, when Bowen is finished we are going to go back to a better place. We’ve had to move some classes, so that’s an inconvenience, but everybody is anxious to get back to the new facilities, Britt said.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT”™2STR
    o”