Williams captains Pearl Pirates

At Pearl High School, a suburban community outside of the state’s capital, there is newfound excitement around the school’s basketball team.
    The Pearl Pirates, a team mired in a dismal streak of losing seasons, have now found what many in the community consider to be the program’s proverbial savior, a hardwood legend by the name of Richard Williams.
    On May 12th, the former Mississippi State coach accepted the job of head basketball coach at his alma mater, along with the challenge of turning a longtime doormat into a respectable part of the 4A landscape.
    Since coaching his last NCAA Division 1 game five years ago, Williams has been a part of the game in several different capacities.
    “I’ve done some TV/radio broadcasting since leaving MSU,” Williams says. “I’ve (also) done some consulting at the high school and university level, attended lots of basketball games, and served as a volunteer assistant coach at St. Stanislaus on the coast.”
    Williams also served a brief stint as head coach of the Memphis Houn’Dawgs in the ABA.
    Williams is Mississippi State’s all time wins leader with 191 victories to his credit in his twelve seasons in Starkville. He was also the head coach during one of the greatest sports stories in the history of Mississippi when the Bulldogs rose to national prominence with their trip to the 1996 Final Four in New Jersey.
    “You can’t put something like (going to the Final Four) into words,” Williams reflected. “I wouldn’t even try. I’ll just say that it was an exciting time. So exciting that I didn’t even realize how big it was at the time.”
    “I’m sure it’s different for the programs that make it there every year, but for our program, at that time, we just got so caught up in the game preparations that we didn’t even realize how big it was until it was over. But it was just an exciting time for everyone involved with Mississippi State basketball, and for that matter the state of Mississippi.”
    After spending the last few years in retirement, Williams claims his love of coaching is really what drove him back to the game.
    “I guess I would say that in about the last year, I’ve really started to miss it,” Williams admitted.
    So when the position at Pearl became available, the offer was just too good to pass up.
    “(Pearl High School Athletic Director) Woody (Barnett) was very persuasive in his job pitch, Williams explained. Pearl has always been home to me–my mother still lives here. Also, they structured the deal to where I don’t have to teach in a classroom. I only coach basketball, and I am able to keep my state retirement. Plus it gives me the opportunity to do what I love and that is to teach the game of basketball.”
    Williams has had several summer workouts with members of the team, and says he is pleased with the way they have responded to him and his coaching.
    “I’ve been very impressed with their attitude so far,” Williams assessed. “They’ve showed me a lot of work ethic, and a willingness to learn and get better.”
    Senior Kenyatta Mayes says he has enjoyed the experience of playing for Williams.
    “We’ve learned a whole bunch of plays, new drills, and a new defensive system already,” Mayes said. “And Coach Williams says we haven’t even started to work yet.”
    Junior Corey Rogers added that Williams does not expect to have to alter his coaching style any for the high school level.
    “There are only two differences in basketball in college and basketball in high school,” Williams states. “The first, obviously, is size. The second is ability. Coaching is the same at any level. I will coach this team the same way I coached Mississippi State, the difference will be what they are able to do with it.”
    Junior Corey Rogers says Williams has really been stressing the defensive side of the ball.
    “He says we put defense first and then the offense will take care of itself,” Rogers said.
    With a coach of Williams’ caliber, expectations within the Pearl community have naturally soared as high as the state title. Coach Williams however, has a more practical goal in mind.
    “The seniors on this team have never known what it feels like to have a winning season. The other classes behind them–the sophomores and juniors, have all experienced success at the junior high and junior varsity levels, but not this senior class. I think that if we could finish above .500 and send these guys out with a winning season, that would be a major accomplishment.”
    Whatever the outcome of this season, Williams has garnered the faith and support of an entire town. Pearl basketball has now become a hot topic in the area, as well as a hot ticket. So when the Pirates take the court this winter, there will be an aura that wasn’t there before: a winning attitude that could only be brought about by one man. A savior on the hardwood named Richard Williams.