Parking Services reorganizes

Mississippi State Parking Services with the launch of fall semester has reorganized with a new building, new officers and tighter enforcement of traffic regulations.
    According to Director of Support Services Paul Welch, the main purpose of car tickets is not to raise money for the university, but rather to facilitate movement and bring order to the campus.
    Welch said all income from citations goes directly into the university’s general fund.
    Operating under a different administration, the department has been expanded to meet more students’ needs.
    Raleigh Richter, senior ticket officer at Parking Services, said that the department’s administration had moved from the Division of Student Affairs to Business Affairs.
    “It’s changed a lot really” Richter said. “Although the jobs are much the same, Parking Services is better equipped to serve the campus community.”
    One change includes hiring more ticket officers. Last year, the department employed only two. This school year, there will be at least six. Parking Services also has a jump kit available, now. Officers can assist motorists in jumpstarting or in unlocking vehicles.
    According to Welch, University officers intend to be pro-active on parking correctly. Welch said that while Parking Services does not make a policy of targeting any individual, there are often “habitual offenders,” and anyone violating traffic laws can anticipate getting a ticket.
    “We are not trying to be difficult to deal with,” Welch said. “Campus is not a free-for-all-zone.”
    Another important change is a new appeal system in which anyone who receives a ticket may contest its validity. The university is currently interviewing students to be on a committee that will hear and decide on appeals. Alleged violators can expect responses from the committee within 24 hours.
    Welch said the university is currently undertaking or planning several projects that should help alleviate parking difficulties.
    Welch said his past involvement with Student Association has made him more aware of parking problems.
    “The university is really concerned with traffic flow. We’re doing everything we can to make parking easier,” he said.
    Committees will also be evaluating parking zones and are considering changing designated parking areas. Shuttle routes have been changed to speed the shuttle system, Welch said.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT6™2STR
    o”