Lee shares MSU vision

After his investiture ceremony Friday, new Mississippi State University President J. Charles Lee said meeting diverse student needs and preparing students to work in a modern global economy were the two most important goals for MSU’s future.
    Lee unveiled a wide-ranging plan to gain funding for the university – a capitol campaign called “The State of the Future.” The campaign will focus on the importance of individual donations. He hopes to surpass the $143 million raised by former president Donald Zacharias, according to the Clarion-Ledger.
    The university must work toward enhancing several key areas, Lee said.
    “Clearly we need to improve and develop a curriculum that reminds our students of their own civic duties in a functioning democracy,” Lee said.
    The university needs to attract more attention for the funding of research and the improvement of the physical plant and other institutions, Lee said. He also encouraged research that would help develop new industries for Miss. while continuing to fund research holding far-reaching effects.
    MSU also needs to work toward improving the Meridian campus and providing distance-learning opportunities to support off-campus students through developing a community partnership program, he said.
    “Our state cannot drive the best and brightest away due to a lack of high expectations and opportunities of achievement from the university,” Lee said.
    Lee said he hopes to see both the university and MSU students meet their full potential.
    “We want our students to become exposed and engage with the very people shaping our future. We know MSU can build on its strengths to help support the growth of this state and live up to its deserved level of special distinction.”
    The investiture ceremony prior to Lee’s speech was held at Humphrey Coliseum at 1 p.m. The event was open to the public.
    Several public figures from around the state, including Gov. Ronnie Musgrove and Lt. Gov. Amy Tuck, attended the event. Both Musgrove and Tuck also served as speakers.
    “We are all currently rolling up our sleeves while preparing in the fight to uphold education as a priority,” Musgrove said. “Dr. Lee, I would like to thank you for lending your expertise in fighting this challenge.”
    Following Musgrove, greetings from the students, faculty and staff, alumni, friends and state government were presented
    Tuck, a political science graduate of MSU, provided the greeting from the state government, comparing the renovation of Bowen Hall to the changes at MSU.
    “I thought what was happening to Bowen Hall represented what is happening to our university,” Tuck said. “We are building on the foundations of old to create a stronger, better university. We look to MSU under Lee to be an innovator of ideas, an engine of new growth.”
    Following the greetings, the MSU Concert Choir and Chamber Singers performed a choral selection of the original work, “Awake! Arise!,” written by MSU music professors Jeffrey L. Pappas and Richard B. Human Jr.
    Lee began his speech asking the audience to give prayer for Randy Bouchillon, the victim of the electrical fire that took place at Allen Hall Thursday afternoon.
    He thanked the audience for his investiture, saying that it was “a humbling experience.”