Jones centers, anchors offensive line

Imagine yourself as a center for a just a moment. You have been playing for over two hours. It’s deep into the fourth quarter. You’re hot, sweaty and exhausted. You’re cramping up from the severe heat or cold.
    You’re fingers and toes are numb, but you know that inside you must keep going because you are the backbone and strength of this operation.
    You crouch down for yet another snap. You snap the ball, cock your head up to see a 280-pound defensive tackle bearing down on you, hungry for a sack.
    Not to mention the two 240-pound linebackers bringing a middle blitz.
    It’s tough to not get run over, but Blake Jones stands firm and holds his ground protecting his quarterback.
    Center Blake Jones provides the offensive line with 6 feet 4 inches and 290 pounds of talent, veteran skills and a sense of leadership to a young and inexperienced group. The center from Athens, Ala., is the backbone of an offensive line that is still trying to work out some of the kinks.
    “I think we have done some good things. I guess like anybody we’ve had a few mistakes here and there,” Jones said.
    Allowing sacks has been the biggest problem for the offensive line. The Bulldogs are at the very bottom in the SEC, allowing 16 sacks in their five games for a loss of 117 yards.
    “Sometimes our protection has not been that great, but most of the time it has been,” Jones said. “I think we have the ability to run on anybody we play.”
    The Bulldogs were able to run when and where they wanted against Vandy. The offensive line created monster holes for Jerious Norwood and Nick Turner to combine for over 200 rushing yards.
    “We get better every practice,” Jones said.
    Jones underwent foot surgery this past off-season, but held off the competition to retain his position as the starting center. Head coach Jackie Sherrill had nothing, but positive remarks to say about Jones.
    “Blake has been a surprise. He has improved through his leadership and knows what’s going on,” Sherrill said. “He has maturity to make the right calls. He prepares himself every game.”
    This past season Sherrill hired Steve Campbell to coach the offensive line. Jones said because Campbell has done an excellent job with the O-Line, he has plenty of respect for him.
    “I think a lot of coach Campbell. He is a tough,” Jones said. “He makes you work real hard, but I think that’s the reason he is so successful. He gets the most out of his players.”
    After some hesitation Jones talked about what he enjoys doing away from football.
    “There’s not much time off the field between school and football,” Jones said with a smile. “If I get much free time I like to hunt, go to movies, read and hang out with my friends and my dog.”
    Many times centers are overlooked, but as a center, Jones has one of the toughest and most important jobs on the field.