Soccer visits Arkansas, LSU

As the MSU women’s soccer team heads into its second weekend of SEC play, the Bulldogs will be looking to extend their conference record to 3-1.
    The Bulldogs hit the road this weekend to take on the 5-4-2 Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday night, and the 7-3-1 LSU Tigers Sunday afternoon.
    “I don’t mind playing on the road, but I would obviously rather play at home,” said junior forward Ngum Suh. “I like playing soccer period, and I think wherever I get the chance to kick some balls is fine with me.”
    A typical road weekend for the Bulldogs consists of a very tight and meticulous schedule. The team leaves on Thursday afternoon after a group lunch at one of the local restaurants.
    After lunch the girls load the bus and roll out.
    “When we’re on the bus we try to keep busy by watching movies, listening to music and just relaxing,” said senior midfielder Elke D’Hollander.
    Some of the girls look for other ways to stay entertained on the wearisome bus ride.
    “You never have enough fun until you sit in the back of the bus,” said Suh. “We get away with a lot more because the coaches are in the front.”
    Once the team reaches its destination, the girls do a brief walkthrough where they go over their plays and final preparations.
    “After we have our walkthrough we go back to the hotel to rest and eat dinner,” said sophomore forward Shola Gaji. “Then we go out on the field and win.”
    If the Bulldogs are to be successful this weekend, they will have to control two capable teams.
    Arkansas’ strength comes with a defense that ranks 2nd in saves in the SEC. The Bulldogs must find a way to outmaneuver Arkansas keeper Lindsay Haywood.
    When the Bulldogs pull into Baton Rouge Sunday, they will be facing a team that ranks in the top three in every major offensive category in the SEC.
    MSU will rely heavily on their defense to shut down an LSU offense that averages just under three and a half goals per game.
    “I think we can come out of this weekend with two wins if we play like we did in the Georgia game,” said Suh. “If we have learned from our previous mistakes and do what we have been taught, then I think we’ll do fine.”
    The Bulldogs open SEC play at home on Friday, Oct. 17, against Auburn at 7 p.m.