‘Jail and Bail’ today

Mississippi State University’s Habitat for Humanity will host its third annual “Jail and Bail” fund-raiser today.
    A “jail” will be set up outside The Colvard Union Student Union, across from the post office from 9 a.m to 3 p.m.
    Last year the organization raised over $4,000 in this one-day event.
    “Students can ‘arrest’ a friend or teacher by putting up a minimun of $2.50 for their warrant and the bail is double that amount.
    After an individual has a warrent for his arrest, he must stay in the jail until he raises twice his bond amount, Brown said.
    “Once in jail, the person in jail can use cell phones provided by Cingular or ask people who are walking by to put money in a fund to release them,” said Shelly Brown, president of MSU Habitat for Humanity.
    The people who need to be arrested must be brought to the jail by a friend, Brown said. Individuals arrested are held in jail until their bail has been paid.
    In addition to selling warrants, volunteers will also sell t-at the event, Brown said.
    “All the money raised and t-shirt sales all go into the MSU building fund. It costs approximately $40,000 to build a house in Starkville,” Brown said.
    “We are trying to raise money to build our very first MSU-funded house. It’ll look really good for the school to have its students be involved in something that will help their local community,” Brown said.
    Head of publicity for the event, Kasey Futrell, said Habitat members hope to pay for build the house with the help of university students.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT”™2STR
    o”