Disability Challenge promotes understanding

Several students recently “saw with their ears,” “heard with their eyes” and “walked with their hands.”
    Mississippi State University students were given the opportunity to experience what it is like to be disabled by participating in several activities that showcased the difficulties people face regarding blindness, low vision, restricted mobility and other disabilities. Refreshments were also provided.
    The MSU Disabilities Challenge took place at The Drill Field Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. The activities were a part of the ongoing Disability Awareness Month events. Sponsors included the T.K Martin Center, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, the Rehabilitation and Research Training Center (RRTC) and Student Services.
    “Disabilities Awareness Month is going well. There has been a lot more participation than expected,” Tunisa Rice, head coordinator of Disabilities Challenge, said. “I think that the fear and uncertainty that people may have through interacting with physically-disabled people is being broken down,” Rice said.
    The activities included a wheelchair challenge, in which students experienced traveling in a wheelchair. Students were assigned to travel by wheelchair to a designated building on campus, retrieve information handouts on the physically challenged and return them in order to complete the challenge.
    The activity’s purpose was to demonstrate to students the difficulties people face with wheelchair accessibility in public facilities.
    Students were also able to participate at the blind cane maze. For the maze, students wore special glasses that simulated the stages of blindness and attempted to navigate the cone maze using a walking cane.
    “The walking cane maze was a great experience because I realized how difficult it is to function without sight,” said Regina Lattimore, a senior in psychology.
    In addition, there were other visual simulations and information provided regarding varying eyesight conditions, sponsored by the RRTC. A table contained information pamphlets and several tools used by people with blindness or low vision, such as Braille watches and rulers.
    B.J. LeJeune, RRTC rehabilitation educator, said the purpose of the table was to “emphasize the need for people to work in the area of blindness and low vision with adults and children.”
    She also said information on several potential careers and scholarships were available to students with disabilities interested in attending graduate school.
    Students were also able to try on several special glasses that provided them with a firsthand “view” of several eye conditions, including glaucoma.
    “I liked wearing the different goggles to see the varying stages of blindness. I thought it was important being able to experience for a little while what it’s like to be disabled,” said Monica Armstrong, a junior in human sciences.
    At the learning disabilities and dyslexia booth, students attempted to interpret a paragraph that was written in a way that a person with dyslexia would see it.
    Aretha Cook, director of Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said, “I think this event has increased awareness of the day-to-day activities of students with disabilities. I think the students got a good idea of what it’s like for them to be a student every day at campus.”
    In addition to the Disabilities Challenge held on The Drill Field, the Student Association Disabled Student Affairs (DSA) committee ran the “Disabled for a Day” program in the Union from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    According to Megan Medley, DSA Committee Chairman, students were able to rent wheelchairs during the course of the day and have prolonged usage of them anywhere on campus. Students were encouraged to go to restrooms and other public places to see the difficulties people may face regarding wheelchair accessibility on campus.
    In addition to the wheelchair rental, information on disability etiquette and disabled affairs information was also provided.
    The purpose of the event was to get more students more aware and involved with pushing for better accommodations, changes made to help aid the disabled, Medley said.