Dozen storms into Bistro

One of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band’s first stops since they landed back in the United States a few days ago will be the International Bistro Thursday.
    The band will bring their jazz funk sound to Starkville after touring in France and Turkey.
    “Dirty Dozen was my first international act. They played here just a year and a half ago and we are ready for them to be back,” said Dave Hood, owner of the International Bistro and Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern.
    Since 1977 this ensemble, born on the bayou, has entertained hundreds of thousands of devoted fans and captured the hearts of newcomers.
    The band summed up their summer tour playing in three countries, 14 states and two provinces. The Dirty Dozen are fond of performing with well-known acts such as Galactic and The North Mississippi All-Stars.
    On a hot summer afternoon in Japan “the dozen,” brought 10 horns on the stage with B.B. King.
    The band even made a guest appearance on Dave Matthew’s new album Some Devil, performing the song “Dodo” with Matthews.
    Not only do they make a guest appearance on Matthews’ album, they have 11 albums under their own belts.
    The band also has one DVD out recorded live at The Georgia Theatre in Athens, Ga. Dave Schools from Widespread Panic makes a guest appearance on the DVD.
    On Halloween, the Dirty Dozen will make their first appearance at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
    “Halloween in New York is going to be the craziest thing in my life. I can’t wait,” said George McConnel of Widespread Panic.
    The band has been performing in the South for over 25 years.
    After their performance at the International Bistro they will head to Birmingham, Ala. to play a gig at Zydeco October 17. The tour will then lead them to Atlanta, Ga. to perform at The Cotton Club on October 18.
    For updates on The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, log onto www.rosebudus.com/dozen. The band is also played regularly on 91.1 WMSV “Homegrown,” every Saturday night.
    Tickets for the show are $12 at the door. For more information call (662) 323-2591.