Grammy winner next in Lyceum Series

Dianne Reeves will shower “a little moonlight” on Mississippi State’s Humphrey Coliseum Thursday night.
    Reeves, a nationally recognized jazz vocalist and two-time Grammy Award winner, will be promoting her new album, A Little Moonlight.
    The performance will be her first at Mississippi State University.
    The concert is the first program in the MSU Lyceum Series.
    Jazz fan Laura Taylor said she can hardly wait for Reeves’s performance.
    “I’m so excited,” she said. “I think it’s great that they’re bringing such a famous artist like Reeves to MSU. It’s nice to see something other than the stuff you hear on the radio.”
    “It’s a great opportunity for everyone interested in music to come out and hear a great performance,” said Kell Smith, who works with the Lyceum Series.
    Reeves’ singing comes from a wide musical heritage-Africa, Brazil and the Caribbean. Gospel, rhythm and blues and classic and contemporary pop influences give Reeves her musical identity.
    Reeves has had many accomplishments as a professional musician. She has produced 11 albums and received two consecutive Best Jazz Vocalist Grammy’s for her albums The Calling and In the Moment.
    She performed last year at the closing ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, received the Ella Fitzgerald Award at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, released the career-spanning compilation CD The Best of Dianne Reeves, and sang on the season finale of HBO’s “Sex & the City.”
    Reeves was recently in London for a two-night special concert at Babican Centre to perform “The Music of Spike Lee.”
    The concert included songs from films such as “Malcolm X,” “The 25th Hour” and “Mo Better Blues.” She has also performed at the White House and with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra.
    Reeves worked with distinguished producer Arif Mardin (Norah Jones, Aretha Franklin) to create “A Little Moonlight.”
    This New Year’s Eve Reeves will be the featured vocalist with Berlin Philharmonic and Simon Rattle performing a program of Gershwin.
    Reeves will perform at 7:30 p.m. at the Humphrey Coliseum.