Nash Street beats 170 others at state competition

Nash Street, a local band, won the state talent show at the Mississippi State Fair in Jackson Sunday.
    “It was really fun and competitive,” said fiddler Hannah Melby. “There was a lot of great talent there.”
    The band entered the variety show and won first place in their category, beating. All first-place category winners then competed against each other. Nash Street won overall. Nash Street beat over 170 total competitors.
    “It was a long day, but it was really cool to win,” said guitarist Taylor Mathis. “We’re just working on getting our name out there.”
    Nash Street is composed of six Starkville teens ranging in age from 13 to 20. Members include Matt Sample and Taylor Mathis on guitar, Stacey Phillips and Hannah Melby on fiddle, Caroline Melby on mandolin and Daniel Hare on upright bass.
    Nash Street’s unique sound comes from traditional Mississippi music passed down to them by word-of-mouth. They also perform cover songs from bands like Nickel Creek and have recently begun composing their own music.
    Their sound is hard to define.
    “We have a folk/bluegrass/country/Nickel Creek sound,” Melby said. “We’re just good ol’ get-down country music.”
    When they’re not traveling the Southeast, Nash Street performs on their home turf at local watering holes including the University Pub, the International Bistro and the Courthouse Grill.
    “It’s a lot different now,” said Melby, a freshman at Mississippi State. “We used to not know anybody at the bar when we played. Now it’s a lot more fun because you know people. It’s fun playing at places you know.”
    The members of Nash Street also juggle school between performances and practice.
    “It’s kind of crazy,” Mathis said. “It’s tough to find time for practice when you have classes.There’s always something going on.”
    “It’s time-consuming, but it’s worth it,” Melby said. They have been performing since 1996. The band has a self-titled album and has played at such events as Tim McGraw and Faith Hill’s Swampstock in southern Louisiana and Bulldog Bash 2002. They hope to play professionally in Nashville someday.