MSU Laundry to close after decades of service

A laundry service that has served on MSU’s campus for over a century will soon go out of business.
    MSU Roberts Laundry and Dry Cleaners opened in 1902 but will be forced to close on May 9. due to financial instability.
    The self-supporting laundry service has lost money in successive years, including a deficit of approximately $100,000 last year.
    According to MSU’s news Web site, the campus service, for decades a self-supporting operation, has lost money in successive years, including a deficit of approximately $100,000 last year.
    According to Mike Harris, Laundry Manager of the business since October 1999, there are basically three reasons for why the laundry service is closing.
    “The clothing trends are more of a wash and wear type. There is more competition than there once was, and the economic recession that we find ourselves in has harmed business. The laundry has lost money in successive years and it simply became a business decision,” Harris said.
    The business has employed as many as 22 full-time workers as recently as 2000, but the staffing level was eventually forced to be cut back to 13 employees due to its financial difficulties. The university is now working with the affected employees to help them locate other jobs either on or off campus.
    “Financial realities make it impossible for us to continue the laundry operation,” said Gaddis Hunt, MSU’s chief administrative officer. “We have tried for months to stem the losses, but have not found a way to operate in the black.”
    The volume of clothing dropped off sharply in recent years with the availability of self-service laundries in the residence halls.
    “Clothing that requires dry cleaning also is less common campus attire than during the laundry’s heyday,” Hunt said.
    Although it is closing, Harris maintains that the laundry service has had a very positive effect at MSU “by offering a service of quality, dependability and convenience.”
    The laundry has provided cleaning services for the staff, faculty and students, as well as many community customers. Additionally, the business has supplied uniforms and linens for many campus departments and businesses such as in catering and the cafeteria,” Harris commented.
    Regarding the closing, Harris stated, “I think that a piece of MSU’s history will be lost.”
    To the services customers, Harris said. “I would like to take this opportunity to express how grateful I am to all the many loyal customers we have.”
    “Over the past years the business has fallen off due to clothing trends and more competition; however many of our customers have stayed loyal and I would like to thank each of them for doing so,” Harris said.
    One customer of the MSU laundry service had only good things to say about the establishment.
    “They were really helpful whenever I went in to use their services,” said Joseph Fritz, a freshman in anthropology. “One time I brought in a shag rug and they did a really nice job cleaning it. Not many places can clean one. The place was also inexpensive.”
    Regarding everyone associated with the laundry service over the years, Harris said, “I really can’t express how blessed I have been to be a part of the Mississippi state family. I work with wonderful employees and get to see so many customers who have become a part of me. It’s like losing a part of your family.”
    Until its closing, both laundry and dry cleaning services will remain in full operation through May 9 to serve on-campus and off-campus customers.