MSU offers occupational training

Mississippi State University will host a four-week course beginning Feb. 25 and ending March 25 to enhance and improve business, industrial and individual workplace settings for Mississippi residents.
    The meeting will be held on consecutive, Tuesdays from 6-9 p.m. by the university’s Division of Continuing Education, “Foundations in Quality Learning Series: Quality 101.”
    The 15-hour course will aid individuals and organizations address both philosophical and application essentials of quality.
    The course covers quality benefits, the evolution of quality, total quality management, process management, quality tools and quality deployment.
    The Quality 101 course will benefit individual seeking to take American Society for Quality’s Certified Quality Improvement Associate (CQIA) certification exam by preparing them will similar information.
    Amy Vickery, MSU program coordinator for profession development, established this program to provide courses people need.
    “As a service to people in Mississippi, this program helps prepare [people] for the certification exam,” Vickery said about the potential for this course.
    According to the Web site, projected learning outcomes for these courses are: to increase expertise in the practices and principles of quality, to understand the concepts of total quality management and process improvement, to understand the quality movement from its early origins to today and the introduction of standards, to define seven commonly used quality tools and understand how they are used in problem solving for quality control or improved quality, to understand what companies must do to implement total quality within an organization, and to be prepared to sit for ASQ’s Certified Quality Improvement Associate certification exam.
    “People who attend will either gain skills or refresh skills,” Vickery said. “I want to provide courses people need.” Anyone can attend from alumni to residents. For the 15-hour course, the fees are $390 for non-members of the ASQ and $375 for members. The audience will include non-quality practitioners, entry-level quality practitioners, auditors, technicians, engineers and CQIA certification exam candidate as well as many more areas.
    Vickery asked that if this course does not provide the needs of the Mississippi residents to contact her. The course will be offered based on the needs of residents, either at MSU or around the state, according to Vickery. Vickery hopes to provide this course either on-site or through distance learning.
    Those interested can either call Amy Vickery at (662) 325-7330 or go online at www.ce.msstate.edu/ptd.