’03 MSU football: New & improved

A new and improved Mississippi State University football team stepped on Scott Field Saturday morning en route to its second scrimmage of the season. The Bulldogs had a spark about them that was not present in the past two years. MSU showed some of the features the new coaching staff has incorporated to help the Bulldogs return to the nation’s elite.
    “For being the second scrimmage that we’ve had I think there was a lot of progress made,” head coach Jackie Sherrill said. “Hopefully we can make a lot more this week.”
    First year offensive coordinator Morris Watts has brought in an entirely different offensive scheme to the Bulldog program, which includes more of a passing attack and a fullback and tailback option. Watts exhibited a keen sense of mixing plays up as the Bulldogs ran 46 plays through the air and 41 attempts on the ground.
    Mississippi State possesses a three-pronged attack at running back in junior Fred Reid and sophomores Nick Turner and Jerious Norwood. The three combined for 222 total rushing yards, averaged five yards a carry and scored three touchdowns.
    MSU’s offensive line, tutored by first year coach Steve Cambell, was without three offensive tackles due to injuries.
    “I’ll be glad when we get either one or two of the tackles back, but the good thing is we’re finding some offensive linemen that are stepping up a bit able to help us,” Sherrill said.
    The Bulldogs also illustrated a reliable air attack despite starting quarterback Kevin Fant being out with an abdominal injury. Sophomore quarterback Kyle York went 18 for 27 for 374 yards and four touchdowns. Following York was redshirt freshman Aries Nelson who was 9-14 for 131 yards and one touchdown. Sherrill said he would start Fant if he were to return next week.
    State demonstrated a solid receiving core with five receivers totaling more then 40 yards and all receivers accounting for a stunning 524 yards. Senior flanker Justin Jenkins led the Bulldogs with 138 yards on only three catches. York and Jenkins connected on touchdown passes of 72 and 53 yards.
    Another new aspect to the Bulldog offense is more passing to the tight ends; this was illustrated in tight end Aaron Lumpkin’s 5 catches for 89 yards.
    “I was glad to see our kids catch and make some plays,” Sherrill said.
    Overall the offense racked up a tremendous 769 yards, averaging over eight yards a play.
    The Bulldog defense, operating under first year coach Ron Cooper, was not overlooked. They recovered four fumbles. Defensive end Curtis Stowers returned one 63 yards for a touchdown. The defense recorded six quarterback sacks and 75 total tackles. Junior strong safety Gabe Wallace led the Bulldog “D” with 10 tackles.
    “There were some good licks. The defense really looks like we have some strength at linebacker,” Sherrill said. “We have seven or eight down linemen that can play, but we still have to get a lot better up front.”
    The Bulldog defense also broke up four passes and sophomore linebacker Brandon Downing intercepted the only pick of the day.
    The young defensive secondary that includes two sophomores impressed coach Sherrill.
    “The young guys coming in, especially the defensive backs, look like they’ll be able to give us some help.”
    Mississippi State will conclude the spring season with the Maroon and White game at Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field Saturday, April 12, at noon.