Stereotypes present distorted picture

A stereotype is defined by encarta.com as an oversimplified standardized image or idea held by one person or group of another. Stereotypes are opinions that are formed about a certain group of people from limited or no exposure.
    Many people have formed these misconceptions through interactions with only one member of a certain group. They have not bridged out and seen how other members of this particular group behave. I hear many of these stereotypes in casual conversation.
    I want to talk about a few of the stereotypes that I have heard around campus that I do not believe are completely true. I also want to discuss a few of the stereotypes that blacks have brought upon their selves by the actions of a few.
    Some of the stereotypes I hear the most are those assumed of athletes, especially the football players. First of all, I hear that ALL football players are loud, boisterous, never come to class, and are just terrible people in general.
    Of course there are going to be some people who are going to be a little unruly or lazy, but that is not everyone. I personally know that this is not true. I have had many classes with football players and other athletes, and they have been model students.
    Second of all, I always hear that athletes have it easy. Athletics bring in millions of dollars to the school every year. They also bring national attention to schools and are extremely effective as a recruiting tool.
    These student athletes are often up early in the morning practicing, lifting weights, or conditioning, and they often come back that afternoon and practice into the night. They must in between find some time to do their schoolwork. I do not consider this to be easy by any means.
    There are also some stereotypes that we bring upon ourselves. I notice many students come to class late, sit in the back, and do not get to know their teachers. These behaviors are what bring about the negative associations with certain groups.
    I would like to challenge more students to be vocal in class, be on time and take the many other steps that will ensure success in breaking down stereotypes. I have to admit that I have been guilty of some of these things in the past, but I realized that I was being part of the problem.
    After conferring with some of my teachers, I realized that many of these behaviors are the reason for their some of their negative views. I challenge everyone to learn about another group of people. Get out of your comfort zone and put yourself in that person’s shoes. Then, you may be able to get a little better understanding about that person or their people. Do not fall into the trap of forming an opinion of a group based on one individual.
    Nyerere Tryman is a senior political science major.