Reflector holds awards banquet

For the calendar year of 2002, The Reflector staff continued their excellence in competition in the state and regional levels.
    For the ninth year in a row, The Reflector was awarded with first place in general excellence for the Mississippi Press Association. At the Southeast Journalism Conference (SEJC), The Reflector placed fifth for the best college newspaper among 56 other schools. Student newspapers at University of Mississippi and Southern Mississippi placed below MSU, tying for eighth place.
    Quoted from the “Best of the South,” this year was the toughest year to place in competitions. The Reflector also placed twelve of the seventeen awards given for photography.
    At the annual Reflector awards banquet on Tuesday night awards were presented to outstanding writers and editors. Derek Cody was nominated for the best overall editor.
    “I was really honored and was not expecting this. It is definitely something I am excited about especially since my fellow co-workers chose me,” said Cody.
    Former editor in chief Leslie Ann Shoemake praised outgoing staff and welcomed the new.
    “I am really proud of everyone who won because it gives them validation for the hard work they do,” said Shoemake.
    Overall both competitions this year were a flash of brilliance. For the SEJC we sent portfolios for each person.
    “We had a few outstanding workers and I am proud they got recognized at the competitions. This shows hard work and dedication,” said former managing editor Angela Pitalo.