IMAGE honors MSU faculty

The Mississippi State University Increasing Minority Access to Graduate Education (IMAGE) organization hosted its annual Faculty Appreciation Banquet Wednesday, April 9. The banquet was held at the MSU M-Club and honored faculty that have proven to be important leaders in the awareness of diversity at MSU.
    IMAGE began at MSU in 1991. The organization promotes the advancement of education for minorities.
    “It has always been my inspiration to work with students,” IMAGE Director Dr. Tommy Stevenson said. “As the diversity coordinator, my goal is to empower students and provide them with opportunities to continue their education and expand their horizons both inside and outside of the classroom.”
    IMAGE focuses on recruiting, retaining and graduating minority students in the fields of science, mathematics, engineering and technology (SMET) at MSU. Over the past 11 years, more than 1,100 students have participated in IMAGE.
    MSU has been ranked as high as 13th in the nation among colleges and universities awarding bachelor’s degrees to black students in engineering. In 2002, MSU ranked 17th in the nation, according to the American Society for Engineering Education.
    “We have a long way to go,” Stevenson said. “But we are committed to continually develop innovative ideas and move aggressively in our pursuit to become one of the nation’s premier institutions in graduating students of color in the SMET areas.”
    “This is my first year and I have really enjoyed it,” junior Leontra Mayes said. “It helps students of any major and gives you a driving force to complete higher education. Dr. Stevenson is also a very inspirational mentor.”
    MSU alumnus Earnie Deavenport was the guest speaker at the banquet. Deavenport is the retired Chairman of the Board and CEO of Eastman Chemical Company, a $5 billion manufacturer of chemicals, plastics and fibers headquartered in Kingsport, Tenn.
    In his speech, titled “The Business Case for Diversity,” Deavenport emphasized the importance of diversity in both the work place and on campus.
    “We can’t go at anything alone,” Deavenport said. “As a nation, we have had a significant lack in progress towards making the work place in America more diverse.
    “Students play an important role in that they are responsible for attracting newer students,” Deavenport continued. “We need women and minorities to become more interested in math and science…IMAGE is doing a great job at making this happen.”
    MSU IMAGE President Travis Griffin said that the majority of the goals he has set have been accomplished, and that many more goals are set for the future.
    “Travis is one of the hardest working young men I know,” Stevenson said. “He gives 100 percent at everything he does and it really shows with the success of what IMAGE has become here at Mississippi State.”
    The banquet concluded with faculty members being honored for their achievements and closing remarks from Stevenson.
    “I think things went really well and the banquet was very organized,” freshman Jeffery Hart said. “IMAGE has been a wonderful experience and I would encourage any student to get involved with this organization.”
    For more information on IMAGE, contact Dr. Tommy Stevenson at 662-325 8449 or visit www.msstate.edu/org/msu_image/.