Student Association swears in new student leaders

Wilson Boyd, The Reflector
    On a cold Wednesday night, outgoing Student Association President Parker Wiseman was the belle, er, beau of the ball.
    Of course, since this ball took place at Mississippi State University, the menu featured fried catfish, hush puppies and peach cobbler.
    The SA held its annual awards dinner April 9 at the Hunter Henry Center. Besides serving as an opportunity to give awards, the new SA executive officers were sworn into office.
    Edward Sanders, a freshman who represents Duggar Hall, received the Hank Flick Award. Named in honor of the SA’s faculty adviser, the award honors the senator of the year.
    “(Sanders) came into the office every day with a smile on his face and looking for ways to help,” said outgoing SA Vice President Sara Peters.
    Dan Coleman, co-director of Minority Student Affairs, received the Jean Miller Cabinet Award, given to the best cabinet member.
    Interim Vice President of Student Affairs Jimmy Abraham presented Genice Allen, outgoing co-chief of staff, with the Outstanding Student Leader Award.
    “(Allen) epitomizes what Mississippi State service is all about,” said Abraham.
    After Sherman Green entertained the crowd with a song, Wiseman took to the podium for his farewell address.
    Wiseman recapped many of the SA’s achievements during the past year.
    “For several years, students have questioned why there is no midsemester holiday (in the fall). Because of a selfless group of students, (next fall) we will be enjoying a midsemester holiday.
    “We’ve also been very concerned about funding, or lack thereof. About 10 percent of student organizations received money last (2001-2002) year. This year, one-third received funding.”
    He praised the Senate, saying, “This group said we’re not just going to ask a question, but seek a solution.”
    Wiseman also had kind words Donna Maykowski, the SA’s office manager, the cabinet and the MSU administration.
    He closed by saying, to much laughter, “This experience has been a fairy tale. And, stay with me on this–I’m almost like Cinderella.”
    Wiseman then gave the new SA executive officers their oath of office. The new officers are: President Josh Blades, Vice president Juan McCullum, Secretary Claire Hardin, Treasurer Christina Dennery and Attorney general Hunter Jones.
    During his inaugural address, Blades, an Alabama native, touched on his family’s lack of a MSU heritage: “Growing up, I knew nothing about the Left Field Lounge.
    “I used to cheer vehemently against MSU during my adolescence. I thank goodness MSU accepts even those of us who were plagued with ignorance.”
    Blades then covered some of his goals for the upcoming year: “My first priority will be dealing with the student initiative. It’s something that students have overwhelmingly said that they want.”
    Speaking after the event, Vice President Juan McCullum said his immediate goals included structuring the Senate.
    ” I want to make sure that everyone feels like they have a voice on the Senate,” McCullum said.
    Blades said he planned to stay in Starkville during the summer to get an early start next year’s goals. “My door is always open, so if anyone’s around, come by.
    “I just hope I don’t get too lonely,” he joked.
    Blades closed the event by saying:
    “I want to open the SA up to all students. We need to be more responsive to students. Students, this is your SA. Take the reigns and run.”