MSU picnics on Drill Field for 125th anniversary

Aaron Monroe, The Reflector
    In celebration of the university’s continuing 125th anniversary, the Student Association at Mississippi State University sponsored a special public program on Thursday.
    “Celebrate Mississippi,” a showcase of the state’s heritage, culture and opportunities, was held from 12 to 4 p.m. on the campus Drill Field. The event was free and open to all.
    The multi-faceted event invited exhibitions to be held by several businesses, artisans, restaurants, and other individuals and organizations. Tables highlighted the various tourist attractions, local flavors, business opportunities, musical traditions, and foods of Mississippi. Several tables representing the cities of Tupelo, Jackson, and other Mississippi organizations provided pens, information packets, and notepads. Door prizes, stickers, calendars and other giveaways were also available. Alex T. Thomas represented the Mississippi tourism office, providing free information on the state, providing maps and tour guides of the state’s most famous historical sites.
    Remarking on the event, Thomas said, “This event celebrating Mississippi gives the students and faculty on this campus the opportunity to notice and be proud of what we have in our state.”
    According to SA Vice President Sara Peters, the event was developed from an idea that was presented to the 125th Anniversary of MSU Steering Committee by Parker Wiseman.
    There was also a free barbecue lunch and beverages at the event that was served by the MSU Professional Support Staff.
    According to Betty Gentry, one of the servers, the event had planned to feed approximately 1,500 to 1,600 students. She commented, “I think the turnout has been phenomenal. It’s been kind of hectic, but we’ve done this before.”
    Performances were given by several blues bands including “Willie King and the Liberators,” “Ziggy Schwagg,” and John Mohead.
    In recognition of this year’s statewide elections, the student government organization invited all incumbent members of the Mississippi Legislature and other state offices, as well as any announced candidates for those positions to attend the event.
    “It was a one-of-a kind event,” remarked Peters. “It served as a great opportunity for students to enjoy the weather, atmosphere and food while celebrating MSU’s 125th anniversary.”
    “I think this was a great event for the community and university as a whole to celebrate MSU’s 125 years of excellence,” remarked Dr. Tommy Stevenson, the diversity coordinator of Bagley College of Engineering.
    The Drill Field had a heavy turnout with many students checking out the booths, getting food, listening to the bands and playing games of Frisbee, soccer, and football. Several students when asked made good comments regarding the event, satting they thought it was a success.
    “I think it’s a great idea to get everyone outside and together,” said Brady Smith, a graduate student in Geosciences. “This has been a great opportunity to eat some good food and hear some good music. It’s been nice to take a break for once and get outside on a spring afternoon.”
    Kristen McGee, a freshman in Political Science, agreed and said, “I think this was a good opportunity to just hang out on campus and celebrate Mississippi.”
    Billy Paul, a sophomore in Architecture, summed up the event in five words: “Free food. Free stuff. Whooo!”