Cheers gets new name

The Bar Formerly Known as Cheers has officially found a suitable name for the newly fashioned nightclub. Cheers will christen itself as the newly renovated Paradise Grill to compliment the facelift it received last fall. The bar itself will be referred to by those of legal drinking age as The Wet Spot. “It’s kind of a double name,” owner Danny Holland said. “On the sign, it says Paradise Grill, and underneath that, it says The Wet Spot.”
    Holland acquired the hangout and opened it Aug. 3, 2001, as The Bar Formerly Known as Cheers. Since then, the bar has undergone many changes and renovations.
    “We’re going for a beach theme and tropical feel,” Holland said. “We’re adding things onto the menu like jerk chicken and tropical drinks.”
    Along with menu changes, Holland said he changed much of the atmosphere in the room.
    “We’ve actually changed most of the decorations, as well,” Holland said.
    On Wednesday nights during the semester, the Paradise Grill will feature several acoustic acts, including Keith Sykes of Jimmy Buffet’s Coral Reefer Band.
    On Valentine’s Day, Chip Slatow, a comedic hypnotist, will perform at the Paradise Grill.
    “I figured it would be a fun thing to take a date to,” Holland said.
    Thursday and Friday nights bring Will the Thrill, a DJ, to the establishment.
    “Every DJ in town started here,” Holland said. “The DJ at Rick’s and both DJs from the Hunt Club got their start in this place.
    “I’m shooting for some really neat things this semester, but everything’s not set in stone yet.”
    Along with music, the Paradise Grill offers several contests and great specials.
    “We have a lot of fun giveaways,” Holland said. “We constantly have contests going on.”
    Holland said he isn’t through with the renovations to the hot spot.
    “It looks small from the front, but it’s really a lot bigger than it looks,” he said. “We’re opening up a downstairs lounge later this semester.
    “At one time, this was the only place to go. Over time, it just got really dirty, but we’ve done a lot of cleaning up, and we’re ready for a new semester.
    “If kids keep coming here like they did last week, we’ll be able to keep doing renovations.”
    Audrey Billingsley, an MSU student and Paradise Grill employee, said “The new look and atmosphere has really attracted people back to this place. This Tuesday was extremely crowded, and it generally remains that way throughout the weekend. We are all very excited here about the new prospects,” she said.