Matthew’s Reviews: Vanilla Sky

Five years after “Jerry Maguire,” the cinematic duo of Cameron Crowe and Tom Cruise have reunited with “Vanilla Sky.” While this film may have the same key players, the game plan is the complete opposite. “Vanilla Sky” is a spin-off of the 1997 Spanish film “Abre Los Ojos” (Open Your Eyes), written by Alejandro Amenabar and Mateo Gil, and starring a then-unknown Pen?lope Cruz. In “Vanilla Sky,” Cruise plays David, the primary inheritor of his father’s publishing company. High on cash and low on morals, David is the master of the casual relationship. At his 33rd birthday party, David finds himself struck by Cupid’s harpoon (this episode of “love at first sight” is too powerful to be compared to a mere arrow) when his best friend Brian (Jason Lee) shows up with Sofia (Cruz), a girl Brian met earlier that day.
    Despite Brian’s affections for Sofia, David falls in love with her, only this time he does not just want her as a bed buddy. As David pursues his affections for Sofia, his penchant for casual relationships catches up with him as Julie (Cameron Diaz), his most recent pal, takes her obsession over the edge, literally. In a flash, Julie is out of David’s life, but she is still in his head, tormenting him until he loses control.
    After Julie’s moment of outrage, David seeks therapy for his emotional scars from Dr. Curtis McCabe (Kurt Russell) while using a latex mask to hide his physical scars.
    David’s romance with Sofia blossoms until his tortured psyche drives him into a fit of rage, turning him into something he isn’t.
    “Vanilla Sky” is an eclectic, multi-faceted movie. It has so many intricacies, that cannot be revealed, for their revelation would spoil the plot.
    The film is so complex, I had to go see it twice just to understand what was going on, but don’t let that discourage you. Although the movie is complex, it is not one of those unnecessarily complicated movies that leaves the audience scratching their heads. Rather, it is enriched with multiple layers, sweetening the viewer’s appetite for lush dialogue and unconventional storytelling. Yet, it also leaves the door cracked open, allowing the viewer to use his imagination and form his own conclusions.
    Cruise may have the top billing that goes with his usual $25 million paycheck, but it is the combined craftsmanship of the ensemble cast that makes “Vanilla Sky” the erotic “Twilight Zone” that it is. Cruise is no stranger to the role of the swinging bachelor, but unlike the cocky fighter pilot in “Top Gun” or the selfish, materialistic younger brother in “Rain Man,” Cruise’s portrayal of David is as compassionate as it is suave.
    Cruz is nothing short of captivating as she plays Sofia once again. Sofia is sweet, sassy and spontaneous. She serves as the beam of light in this otherwise dark tale.
    Diaz makes the most of her relatively small role. Her role as Julie is a change of pace from the bubbly blonde roles she played in “There’s Something About Mary” and “My Best Friend’s Wedding.” This time, Diaz is devious and obsessive, a Hyde from her previous Jeckylls.
    After launching his career playing a comic book guru in Kevin Smith’s “Jay and Silent Bob” movies, Lee takes a big step in his cinematic maturation in his role as Brian, who proves to be David’s one true friend.
    In a role more typical of Michael Douglas, Russell’s portrayal of McCabe gives the film an analytical, yet personal touch as he helps David control his tattered emotions.
    “Vanilla Sky” is beautifully written, which comes as no surprise from Crowe, who won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay last year for “Almost Famous.”
    On a musical note, “Vanilla Sky” is tapped with an eclectic soundtrack that includes tracks by R.E.M., Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Paul McCartney and a demo vocal performance from Diaz under her character name, Julianna Gianni.
    If you want to see a movie that has star power, unfolding secrets and emotional appeal that tugs on the heartstrings, then “open your eyes” to “Vanilla Sky.”