Bully Express offers fast ride to class

You finally get up on time, grab a quick shower, throw some clothes on, hop into your car and head to campus 10 minutes earlier than usual! You’re sure to be on time, right? Sadly, you are left to circle the parking lot 10 times to find a parking place in the same ZIP code, which, of course, you never do. Finally, after parking halfway across the campus and hiking to your class, you receive a dirty look from your professor as you slink to your desk in shame because you are five minutes late. Sound familiar? There may finally be a solution to this all-to-common dilemma: The Bulldog Express! The Bulldog Express is the reinstatement of what used to be the green route of the Mississippi State University Shuttle Service.
    Doug Alexander, a business manager in MSU Support Services, said the MSU Student Association made the suggestion to bring the express route back to help alleviate parking difficulties.
    “It has a shorter route; it’s more direct,” Alexander said. “We’re trying to encourage students to park at the coliseum and ride in.
    “It’s only one bus, but the bus can make the route in six or seven minutes,” he added.
    The Bully Express route goes from the Humphrey Coliseum, to the Perry Cafeteria, and then to Allen Hall. From Allen, the shuttle stops back by the cafeteria, then the Giles Architecture building, and finally finishes its route back at the Humphrey Coliseum.
    According to Alexander, how long the shuttle stays in use depends on how many people use it.
    “The Student Association wants to try it for at least one semester. We’re keeping tabs on how many people are using it, and other things as well,” he said.
    Alexander also pointed out that the express is convenient not only for students, but for faculty as well.
    “It’s a good way to get back and forth for faculty picking up paychecks and other things, too,” he said.
    Many faculty members pick up their paychecks at McArthur Hall, which is directly across from the Giles Architecture building.
    Michael Gibson and Paul Shook are the two chief drivers of the Bully Express. Gibson formerly drove the gray route for the shuttle service. He said the Bully Express is completely different from the other routes.
    “The gray route carries more people,” he said. “This one has fewer stops, so it gets you to your destination quicker; the whole route is about seven minutes.”
    Gibson said the route is gaining in popularity as more people learn about it.
    Heath Bell, a senior in landscape contracting, said he is glad to see the express route back.
    “They had the green route my first semester, and then they got rid of it,” he said. “I like to park at Humphrey and then take the shuttle right into the middle of campus.”
    Chad Sorrells, a senior in elementary education, rides the express on a regular basis.
    “It makes a quick commute for students parking at the coliseum, and it beats hunting for a parking space,” he said.
    “It’s faster than the other routes, and you’ve also got good company and good music,” he added. “The driver knows how to get from point A to point B really quickly.