Tide players, coaches, fans optimistic despite probation

There is a great deal of pressure riding on the shoulders of Alabama head coach Dennis Franchione. In his second year with the program, Franchione has no chance of taking his team to a postseason bowl game thanks to the Crimson Tide’s two-year bowl ban. He does, however, need to come up with an impressive record in 2002 if he wants future recruiting classes to be acceptable for the one-time powerhouse football program. Thanks to Bama’s five-year probation that begins this season, Franchione has limited scholarships to hand out to potential recruits. The only chance he has of luring young stars to UA is showing them that the Tide can contend at the national level.
    He’ll get his chance to do that in the tide’s second game of the season when they travel to Norman, Okla., to play a Sooner team that is ranked No. 2 in the nation and predicted by many to win it all.
    Two more tough road games will come against fifth-ranked Tennessee and 14th-ranked LSU. Both teams won their respective SEC divisions and rolled over the Tide in 2001.
    Fortunately for Franchione, Bama looks to be well-equipped this year. On offense and defense combined, 15 of last year’s 22 starters will be making their return.
    The starting quarterback will be senior Tyler Watts. Watts has been one half of a quarterback controversy with Andrew Zow the past two seasons. However, with Zow out of eligibility, Watts will take the snaps this year as long as he can remain healthy. It is a distinct possibility that he won’t, though, as he has suffered season-ending injuries the last two years.
    Ahmaad Galloway, last year’s starting tailback from a team that led the SEC in rushing, is back for his senior year. Galloway will get plenty of help from the offensive line, which is returning every starting member. Unfortunately, he will have to work with some inexperience at the fullback position due to the recent loss of junior Donnie Lowe to injury. Alabama had three reliable wide receivers in 2001, but only one of them, Antonio Carter, is back. Expect Watts to look for him as a first option. Carter also returns punts and kickoffs for the Tide.
    As for the defense, Bama returns eight starters from the previous year. Although the linebacker crew is questionable, the secondary consists of three experienced seniors, and the defensive line also returns three starters from last year.