West Nile virus takes bite on Mississippians

After 34 new cases last week, the Mississippi State Health Department announced a total of 91 cases of West Nile virus, including three deaths. “It’s a disease we need to respect but not one we need to fear,” Bob Collins, M.D. at the Mississippi State Longest Health Center, said.
    The West Nile virus is one spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. It can infect people, birds, horses and other animals. West Nile mild fever often shows symptoms similar to the common cold such as headache, fever and sore throat. However, when the virus turns into West Nile encephalitis, the victim’s brain begins to swell, brain tissues break down, motor skills deteriorate and the brain malfunctions. Once the virus is at this stage, it is fatal and can only be treated with pain medication.
    West Nile encephalitis can be tested by a spinal tap. According to the Mississippi State Health Department Web site, most Mississippi cases of West Nile virus have been West Nile encephalitis cases.
    “Effects of West Nile encephalitis are horrific pain and extreme headache,” Collins said. “I’m sure it is much worse than a migraine.”
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Protection Web site, the risk of severe disease is higher for persons 50 years of age and older.
    Collins said it was due to older persons having weaker immune systems and being less likely to fight the virus.
    There is no proof as of now that suggests West Nile Virus can be spread from person to person.
    Despite the higher numbers of cases in Mississippi, no individuals have been diagnosed with West Nile encephalitis at the Longest Health Center. Collins said that West Nile Virus is hard to detect in early stages since people come into the Health Center every day with cold symptoms.
    “However, the whole thing is only going to get worse before it gets better,” Collins said. “Late August and September prove to be the peak period for the West Nile virus to spread since the weather gets slightly cooler. Mosquitoes usually quit biting around the time of the first freeze.”
    Collins said he believes West Nile virus was most likely brought across the Atlantic Ocean by a bird. The birds gets West Nile virus from the mosquitoes as well. Birds most severely affected are crows and blue jays.
    “Birds are not the main issue for the public though,” said Collins. “The issue here is the standing water from the tremendous amount of rainwater we’ve received in Mississippi. Mosquitoes are able to reproduce in standing water and therefore make the problem that much greater.”
    Collins did say that dead birds should not be handled directly. If you find a dead bird, wear gloves if you must handle the bird, handle it with gloves, bag it and dispose of it in case the bird carries the West Nile virus or other diseases.
    State Health Officer Ed Thompson said in a press release that he urges all citizens of Mississippi to protect themselves and their homes from West Nile virus. He suggested that people avoid being outdoors at dusk and dawn, use mosquito repellent with 10-35 percent DEET and wear long-sleeved, long-legged clothing outdoors whenever possible.
    Mosquitoes are also attracted to human heartbeats as well as carbon dioxide and other human odors. Mosquito repellent can be bought over the counter at any drug store or discount store. Other precautions Collins suggests are staying clear of shady areas and getting rid of standing water.
    “The biggest thing I think the public can do is to get rid any standing water they know of,” Collins said.
    Collins wrote an e-mail to all MSU faculty and staff alerting them of the West Nile virus and requesting that they take action if they are aware of any untreated standing water.
    An additional safety measure is to buy BT tablets, environmentally friendly insecticides that prevent mosquitoes from reproducing.