Starkville inmate found dead in county jail

Authorities charged a Panola County man with murder Saturday after he allegedly killed a man while both were being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail. Michael J. Crase, 22, of Batesville is charged with the killing of Timothy Crunk, 31, of Starkville.
    The two men had been incarcerated in the county jail after being arrested on misdemeanor charges in separate incidents early Saturday morning, said Sheriff Dolph Bryan.
    Crunk and Crase were being held in a common area in one of the cell blocks. About 2:15 a.m. a third inmate began banging on the window of the jail’s control center that Crase was attacking Crunk, Bryan said.
    By the time guards could reach the men, Crunk was not breathing, Bryan said. Resuscitation efforts were not successful.
    “What’s sad is that both were being held on misdemeanor charges and would have gotten out of jail on bond first thing this morning,” Bryan said.
    Bryan said he knew of no provocation for the attack and that the matter is under investigation.
    Crase was transferred to the Lowndes County Jail on Saturday. An initial hearing has been set for Monday.
    Saturday’s incident marks the second murder in Oktibbeha County this year and the second within a week.
    On Wednesday, A 71-year-old man shot and killed a 57-year-old woman before shooting himself.