Foundation gives MSU scholarship

MSU received $1 million from the Asbury Foundation in Hattiesburg over a four-year period. The foundation has already sent MSU the first $250,000, and an equal amount will be sent to the school’s unrestricted scholarship fund for the following three years to come.
    “Once we have an accumulation of funds, then we will be able to set up the Asbury scholarships for the students,” Teresa B. Bost of financial aid, said.
    The scholarships will not be available to students on campus until around the end of 2003 to around the beginning of 2004.
    “We aren’t exactly sure when the scholarships will be available, but we are thinking around ’03 to ’04. This will be about how long it will take for the funds to accumulate,” Trish Hughes, director of special giving programs, said.
    There are a few prerequisites to apply for this scholarship, though.
    “Students from the counties of Covington, Forrest, Jefferson Davis, Lamar, Jones, Marion, and Perry need only apply. “Students from any academic major can apply for this scholarship. Class is not a prerequisite; freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors all qualify.
    This scholarship was mainly set up for the students with leadership skills and financial need, but everyone should apply; because there should be enough funds to give some scholarship money to everyone attending that are from these counties,” Hughes said.
    The amount of each scholarship has not yet been verified.
    “As for now, we are unsure of the amount of each individual scholarship to be given out from these funds. It largely depends upon the number of students that apply and the funds that are available. Students should apply now if possible in order to give us a rough estimate of the amount of students at MSU that are in need of financial aid,” Hughes said.
    Many students are already interested in applying and are very grateful for the contribution made by the Asbury Foundation.
    “All students need as much help as they can get financially, especially the ones that aren’t getting a free ride. My only concern is that I wish it would be available sooner. A lot of the juniors and seniors will have graduated or moved on to another school by the time this scholarship is ready,” said MSU student Stephanie Barnes. “But, it will at least help out the students who are attending at the time. The Asbury Foundation has given MSU a tremendous gift-that will better the lives of many Mississippi residents in the years to come.”
    “There should be more foundations like the Asbury foundation,” said MSU student George Sago IV. “It’s not every day that a foundation donates $1 million to a university. The best part about this scholarship is that you don’t have to be a straight-A student to apply. This scholarship is for everyone.”
    A lot of scholarships are for first year freshmen only, so this will give many of the sophomores, juniors and seniors a chance to receive more money for school.
    “Students should remember that this scholarship is for everyone. This way we can reach more students and help keep them in school,” added Hughes added.
    Any student wishing to apply should stop by the Financial Aid office in Garner Hall and pick up an application.