Starkville, MSU prepare for 9/11

Various Mississippi State University organizations will host a memorial service honoring victims of Sept.11 Wednesday night on the Drill Field. Other local events include a morning prayer service and an afternoon ROTC retreat on the Drill Field, along with various other memorials around the county.
    The program Wednesday night will resemble the candlelight vigil held last September on the Drill Field.
    “We want to offer a program here that recognizes those lost in the Sept. 11 attacks, and we found this is the best way to do so,” Student Association President Parker Wiseman said.
    The program will begin in front of the Dave C. Swalm School of Chemical Engineering Building at 9 p.m. with a performance by the MSU choir. MSU interim President Charles Lee will be speaking, along with Wiseman and Red Cross representative Cerese Teel. The choir will perform again while candles are lighted. The program will conclude with a period of silence and the playing of “Taps.”
    MSU Big Dawgs, a group of leaders from 12 of the most influential campus organizations, met to plan the event. These representatives found that one event would most likely benefit more students than various events throughout the day.
    National Pan-Hellenic Council president and Big Dawg representative Tammie Ferguson said that NPHC planned an event this summer for MSU to recognize the tragedies on Sept.11.
    “I thought it worked out even better to have all of the top organizations on campus host this one candlelight service,” Ferguson said. “Setting aside this time in our day is the least we can do for those involved in the events of Sept. 11.”
    Graduate Student Association President and Big Dawg representative Michele Williams agreed and said a major event Wednesday night would be the best thing for MSU.
    “I think having one event will bring everyone together, and there will be better attendance at the candlelight memorial than if we offered many events,” Williams said.
    Williams and Wiseman agree that the program will be a simple memorial to recognize those involved in Sept. 11 but not a program for participants to dwell on the attacks.
    “We’re looking for peace and a way to move on with our lives while still remembering these victims of Sept. 11,” Williams said.
    MSU sophomore Ashley McDow said she thought having one main memorial for the whole campus was a good idea.
    “I think we need to use it for a time to thank everyone who helped with the attacks,” McDow said. “Also, I think for the candlelight we should have a preacher read scripture and pray so that we are recognizing God during this time.”
    The color guard will raise the flag at a 7:15 a.m. prayer service Wednesday morning around the flagpole sponsored by two campus ministries, Baptist Student Union and Wesley Foundation.
    Also on campus, the Army and Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps will sponsor a short retreat Wednesday with guest speaker Jeff Donald at 4:30 p.m. on the Drill Field. Donald is a retired colonel originally from Laurel and has 34 years of military service experience. The retreat will include a formal flag lowering, the firing of a 75-mm Howitzer canon and a bugler to play “Taps.”
    In addition to events on campus, the Starkville area will host a number of services and events to honor the victims and individuals involved with Sept. 11.
    The first of three main events will be a service held at Welch Funeral Home, 201 W. Lampkin St., at 8:30 a.m. Speakers at the program include Welch Funeral Home owner Jackie Wofford, Starkville Mayor Mack Rutledge, Starkville Fire Chief William Grantham, Sheriff Dolph Bryan, Starkville Police Chief David Lindley, MSU Police Chief Tom Johnson and Oktibbeha County American Red Cross director Cerese Teal.
    County Chancery Clerk Monica Banks will sing “God Bless America,” and County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan will speak on the Sept.11 events as well.
    “We should always remember this tragedy, but we must get on with our lives,” Rosenhan said. “We don’t want vengeance but satisfaction.”
    Rosenhan also said the 8:30 a.m. service at Welch Funeral Home was set at that time to coordinate with the actual time of the events.
    A noon memorial service at the Oktibbeha County Courthouse. The local Red Cross Chapter organized the service. The service is scheduled to last 15 minutes and will include a procession of the Starkville Police and Fire Department vehicles through downtown. Vivian Collier, city clerk, will sing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” on the Courthouse steps and World War II Veteran Tom Cooke will lead participants in the Pledge of Allegiance. The program will conclude with prayer and a moment of silence.
    Other events on Wednesday include: a memorial service for the community hosted by the District 5 Volunteer Fire Department from 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. at 2988 Oktoc Road, a mass of prayerful remembrance at St. Joseph Catholic Church at 5:30 p.m. and a 6 p.m. procession in the town of Maben.
    According to a press release, the city of Starkville will fly the American flag at half-staff on Wednesday in remembrance and respect for suffering of loss of life experienced at the World Trade Center in New York, at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and in rural Pennsylvania. Rutledge has requested that American flags throughout the city be flown at half-staff on Wednesday.