Jackpot hits stores for third time today

Shiny Things, the third CD from California rock band Jackpot, debuts today. Its long-awaited release mixes rock ‘n’ roll with alternative-country, and adds poppy beats for spice. “I like to think of all my writing and music as mixed drinks,” vocalist and guitarist Rusty Miller said.
    Jackpot began in Miller’s hometown of Placerville, Calif., which sits in the middle of the Gold Rush region. They started out as a trio five years ago and have been a foursome for two years.
    The laid-back quartet consists of Sheldon Cooney on bass, Mike Curry tapping on the drums, Lee Bob Watson on keyboards and guitar and Miller.
    Miller said he came up with the name Jackpot while looking through a dumpster in Germany. Inside he found Day-Glo posters with Jackpot written on them and he admits he just took to it.
    Though the band got its name from a dumpster, do not expect them to play trash. At one point Miller was asked to join another California band, Cake. While they were without a guitarist, Miller sat in and came up with the hypnotic guitar rift for Cake’s hit “Never There.”
    “I enjoyed playing with the guys, but my ego keeps me with my own band,” Miller said, laughing.
    While Jackpot toured Europe, Les Rock Magazine of France named them the best rock band in the world. The New York Times has even praised them as “one of California’s greatest unknown bands.” Though they are unknown at the moment, they might not be for long.
    “I am not going for that golden star in the sky. I’m just happy if I can pay my rent and not have to work,” Miller said.
    Miller should not have to worry about paying bills with the lyrics he spurts out. Though he writes from his gut, the words and phrases he uses may call up some questions. He insists he does not want anyone to take them literally, but to make of them what they mean to each person.
    Jackpot has been on the Vans Warped Tour and performs live at Newby’s in Memphis on Sept. 19. They can also be seen in Oxford at Proud Larry’s on Sept. 20 and at George St. Grocery in Jackson on Sept. 21.
    “Anyone who is into good, laid-back rock music should come. Hell, everyone should come anyway and buy our CD,” Miller half-honestly jokes.
    Shiny Things can be purchased on their Web site, www.jackpotweb.net, or in participating record stores. The band also asks to have their songs requested to the local rock/alternative stations.