MLB stars come home

Eight decades of Mississippi State baseball will be represented and 10 current or former Major League players present next weekend on the MSU campus when State hosts its 10th MSU Baseball Alumni Weekend Oct. 26-27. The reunion weekend activities include a Saturday golf tournament and banquet for the players followed on Sunday by the 2002 Alumni Baseball Game. The alumni game is set for a 1:30 p.m. first pitch at Dudy Noble Field with no charge for admission.
    “We always look forward to having our former players, coaches and managers back on Dudy Noble Field,” said Ron Polk, set to begin his 24th season as Mississippi State head baseball coach. “We again have had a tremendous response from our Bulldog Baseball alumni and expect to have almost 200 returning for the weekend of activities. As always, we anticipate another great response from our fans.”
    Thirty-seven All-Southeastern Conference standouts, 14 All-Americans and 10 Major Leaguers are among the returnees. Nat “Buck” Showalter, recently named manager of the Texas Rangers, and fellow Ranger Rafael Palmeiro and Jay Powell are expected for the weekend. Also returning are former Major Leaguers Jeff Brantley, Will Clark, Dave “Boo” Ferriss, Jack Lazorko, Jon Shave, Bobby Thigpen and Pete Young. Players representing all 10 of Mississippi State’s Southeastern Conference championship teams and State’s seven NCAA College World Series editions will be on hand for the weekend.
    The nine-inning alumni game will pit the former Diamond Dogs from 1984 to 1996 against the other past Baseball Bulldogs. Prior to the game beginning at 1:10 p.m., fans will be afforded an opportunity to get autographs of the baseball alumni along the fence near the left field and right field foul lines.