Habitat holds ‘Jail and Bail’

The MSU Habitat for Humanity will conduct a fundraiser called “Jail and Bail” on Friday, Oct. 11, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., to raise money to help build homes in the Starkville area. “This is the second time that our chapter has conducted the ‘Jail and Bail’ fundraiser,” Hazel Payet, president of the MSU Habitat for Humanity chapter, said. “The fundraiser did really well last year in which we raised $2,000, so we decided to do it again this year in hopes that we will raise even more money.
    “We had a lot of fun last year, and we are sure that this year’s event will be just as fun.”
    “Anyone on campus will be able to pay $2.50 to put anyone in jail. Then the person that is in jail will have to pay $5 bail in order to be let out,” Payet said. “Our jail, in which the participants will be spending time, will actually be guarded by the ROTC students.”
    “Also, Cingular Wireless is letting us borrow cell phones so that students that forgot to bring any money to class with them will be able to call their friends to come bail them out of jail,” Payet added.
    Habitat for Humanity is planning on a large number of students, staff, alumni and local residents to show up for the “Jail and Bail” and participate in the activities they have planned for the campus.
    “One of the reasons that we plan to raise more money this year is due to the amount of VIP’s that we have invited,” Payet said.
    “Last year we invited about six VIP’s to our fundraiser, and this year, we invited 12, which include Mayor Mack Rutledge, Coach Fanning (Women’s basketball coach), Lee Beck (alderman and MSU student) and the sheriff of Okttibeha County Dolph Bryan (Sheriff of Oktibbeha County).”
    This organization has helped many people in the past be able to own a home and will continue to do so in the future.
    “Our three functions as the MSU chapter are to educate the college population about this organization, provide volunteers to help build these houses and hold fundraisers to help earn money to build houses for those in need,” Payet said.
    “We want everyone to understand that we aren’t just giving away these houses. The people that are selected for these houses have to prove to us that they will work and be able to pay for this house,” Payet said.
    “The Family Selection Committee in the Starkville chapter decides who will be receiving a house. When it comes time for the selected person to have their home built, they will sit down and pick out the design for their home, which is dependent upon the amount of children they have and how many people will be living in this home,” Payet said. “For instance, the last home we built that is located on Hilliard Street, is a four-bedroom home. It was built for a single mom who has six children who had previously been living in a small apartment.
    “They (Habitat for Humanity homeowners) have to supply a down payment, and along with that, they have to pay the mortgage on this house. Also, they have to provide the Habitat for Humanity 500 hours of labor, also called ‘Sweat Equity’ to help build other houses or work on their own home.”
    “Habitat for Humanity was founded to build houses for those that normally could not afford a home,” Payet said. “These houses are made affordable because people volunteer their time to help work on these houses.
    “The houses cost about $40,000 to build, and they are sold to the selected owner for base cost. The owner will receive a long mortgage with no interest.”
    Anyone can volunteer their time to help build these homes.
    “When we have a group of volunteers go out to build a house, there is always a contractor on site. The volunteers do simple jobs that do not take any previous experience. Electricians, plumbers and other professionals are hired to do all the technical work,” Payet said.
    “Anyone can volunteer, even if it’s just an hour or two; it doesn’t have to require a whole day.”
    “We are currently only building about three to four homes a year. The waiting list to receive a home is very long, and so we are hoping to be able to increase the amount of houses being built,” Payet said. “We hope that the fundraisers along with more volunteers coming in to help will allow us to do so.”
    “No one should have to go without a home, and hopefully one day in the future there will no longer be homeless people,” Payet said. “Habitat for Humanity is making this possible one step at a time.”
    To volunteer, contact Whitney Powell at [email protected].