Give ’em ‘Hail State’

Recent SEC rule changes may keep Bulldog fans from ringing their cowbells, but they can’t stop Mississipi State students, alumni and overall devotees from celebrating their heritage. Next week is Homecoming Week, the annual autumn ritual where old and new Bulldogs join for five days of maroon and white jubilation before the football team takes on Troy State Saturday.
    While the Student Association, Campus Activities Board, Alumni Associates and other MSU organizations have loads of activities planned, the students have plans of their own.
    The events planned for Homecoming Week span a wide range, including a church service and movie night.
    “We have a church service Sunday night at the Chapel of Memories,” Miss MSU Kathryn Hooks said.
    Homecoming Week may bring people together, but for MSU student Erika Downing, it poses a playful threat to her social life.
    “I’m going to go to the game, and my sisters are coming to stay with me, even though I don’t want them to,” Downing said.
    While some Bulldogs treat the game like the main event, others treat it as that thing that happens after tailgating. To broadcast meteorology major Berkley Chapman, tailgating is an art that should not be taken lightly.
    “Tailgating isn’t just for eating, it’s a way to get pumped up before the game,” Chapman said. “And since it’s Homecoming, it’s especially important for everybody to get their energy up before the game.”
    While Dawgs may have different ways of celebrating Homecoming Week, they all have the ability to make it a festive occasion for all.