MUW should change name to attract students

Two weeks ago, I picked up my copy of The Reflector to find an article about Mississippi University for Women and the possible name change. This would be an excellent idea for the “W” and the state legislature to consider. In an article that appeared in the Nov. 20 edition of the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, MUW President Claudia Limbert said that she plans to recommend a name change to the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning in Spring 2003. I advocate the MUW’s name change from a purely economic and survival standpoint. It is a wonderful school with a wonderful heritage, but I fear that if it continues to be called by its current name, it will spiral downward into oblivion. Not many 18-year-old men today want to go a school called Mississippi University for Women. Enrollment is dropping, and something must be done.
    In a perfect world, I would say that men need to get over this socialized notion that they are “too good” to go to a women’s school and the notion that they “wouldn’t fit in” at a campus of mostly women. MUW has been “admitting men since 1982,” as their slogan proclaims, but current figures state that MUW is only 16 to 18 percent male. With a student body of a little over 3,000, that turns out to be a total of about 500 males enrolled. That’s a female-to-male ratio of 6 to 1.
    MUW is an excellent value and a good school, but its name may be its downfall. They do not have to throw away their heritage to adopt a new name. Old signs and marble entryways still stand proud with the name “Mississippi State College for Women,” its name from 1920 to 1974. There are even a few signs stating “Industrial Institute and College”-its name in 1884. The university seal has all three names. Why can’t there be a fourth?
    It is sad to admit that a historically women’s college that’s named accordingly is faltering within the borders of this state, but it is more important to keep the history alive. The current manner in which the university refers to itself, “Mississippi University for Women … and smart men, too,” does not help it recruit students. This seems demeaning to men, as if the school will only accept certain men.
    Two paths could be taken when re-naming the school. First, a name could be chosen that represents its equality with other state institutions, such as Mississippi University, or The University of Columbus. Secondly, a name could be chosen that honors one of the school’s esteemed alumnae, such as Eudora Welty. With all the schools named after men, such as Cornelius Vanderbilt and John Harvard, the world could do with another top-notch university named after a woman.
    Limbert also told the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that she wants to extend debate about the proposed name change to a statewide level. If anyone would like to comment on the topic, she set up an email address ([email protected]) so alumni and other people all over the United States can voice their opinions.
    I say don’t throw away the heritage-be proud of it. However, realize when things need to change. There is no reason for MUW to have such a low enrollment. Like I said, it’s a great school. Someone such as Welty certainly deserves the honor of having the school named after her, and if all else fails, “Mississippi University” doesn’t sound that bad.
    JanaZ Hatcher is a sophomore political science major.