Road-weary Volleyball Bulldogs return to Newell-Grissom

Newell-Grissom has probably never looked so good for the travel-weary, bruised and battered Bulldogs of Mississippi State volleyball. Only nine players were able to participate in Tuesday’s practice and, one of those had to be assisted off the court.
    “There’s Tanika Taylor limping off today, so she’s not yet 100 percent,” MSU head coach Brenda Bowlin said Tuesday. “Jennifer Rousey’s ankle sprain is still not healed, so we rested her today. Hilary Chambers has an ear infection/sinus infection. Ashley Sledge has a 24-hour virus. So we’re definitely shorthanded today. It’s been a long season with all the traveling.”
    Taylor suffered a knee injury against Mississippi on Oct. 16. She returned the following Sunday and posted a career high in digs with 27 and has been in the lineup since.
    “I don’t know what happened. When I got up, I couldn’t put pressure on my knee.” said Taylor, who turned 21 years old Wednesday. “It’s about time (being 21). I can’t be denied anywhere now.”
    Setter Jennifer Hadden eclipsed 1,000 assists for the season at Kentucky one week ago despite nagging shoulder and knee injuries.
    “Our trainers take care of us before practice, and that helps reduce the pain,” said Hadden. “It’s great to be home. We’ve been on the road for two weeks and we’ve had a few tough crowds to play against. The fans got pretty aggressive, so it will be great to be back.”
    “It’s been our travel year, but living out of a suitcase has been really frustrating,” added Taylor.
    As the team returns after three of four weeks on the road, MSU will host LSU (15-7, 7-4 SEC) Friday at 7 p.m. and Arkansas (19-5, 10-2 SEC) Sunday at 2 p.m. Senior night festivities will honor lone senior Misty Hubenthal who ranks sixth in kills and attack attempts on the ‘Dawgs career list.
    “I was telling coach it seems that just yesterday I was on the plane for my recruiting trip,” said Hubenthal. “Everything felt right (about MSU). I loved the campus, team and coaches. I knew I wanted to be in the south and it all just fit together.”
    “It’s been a quick four years,” said Bowlin. “We’re definitely going to miss her. She’s very consistent and has given it all in practice and responds in games.”
    Hubenthal has yet to be on a Maroon and White squad that has defeated LSU or Arkansas. Doing so will require snapping a nine-game losing streak.
    “You just have to forget about the fact of losing streaks and try to break them, hope for a new day.” said Hubenthal. “We’re all just so frustrated right now that none of us are playing at our peak performance.”
    State tries to maintain a positive feeling about the upcoming games although they will fail to qualify for the SEC tournament.
    “I look at it as an opportunity for us to make our mark. It’s something that we haven’t done,” Bowlin said. “If we run out the table, I think we can still feel like we have accomplished something.”
    Although Hubenthal’s career on the court is coming to its close, she will continue working on her degree at MSU until December 2003.
    “This weekend will be the last time my parents ever get to see me play, so it would be nice to come out with a win,” said Hubenthal.”
    “I am (ready for a break). It’s time to move on. I love volleyball, and I am going to miss it, but my body is telling me I need to slow down and focus on my studies,” Hubenthal added.
    “It will be nice to be a normal college student, too: go to the football games and enjoy college, and not have to practice for four hours a day,” Hubenthal said.