Ashley’s Review’s – 3 1/2 stars out of 4

With sorority girls racing to get the best seat, the faint smell of alcohol throughout the crowd and a sold-out audience, one would think “Mission Impossible 3” was playing. It was not Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt or Denzel Washington that had the crowd going crazy. It was, however, the midnight premiere of “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.” The second book in the series of seven made for a fantastic movie. I have never laughed so hard and even screamed in fright during the same movie. Just like the book, the movie kept me going until the very end.
    When the first book was transformed into a movie, there were complaints that it took too much away from the book. I have to agree I was a little disappointed that some stuff was edited out. Like “Sorcerer’s Stone,” the same thing happened in “Chamber of Secrets.” I know for some people, it is hard to sit and watch a movie for over two hours, but the Harry Potter series is so magically written, you do not get a chance to get bored.
    In “Chamber of Secrets,” we are introduced to new characters. Among the characters are Dobby the house elf, Ron’s father and sister Ginny, Draco Malfoy’s father Lucius, Dumbledore’s phoenix Fawkes, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Colin Creevey, Moaning Myrtle, Tom Riddle and a few others.
    Chris Columbus and Steve Kloves teamed up again as director and writer for “Chamber of Secrets.” This time they did the book a better justice.
    Being an avid fan of the books, it is easy for me to pick apart the movies and tell what they did or did not do. After watching “Sorcerer’s Stone” I was left wondering why they changed some things up that had no business being changed and why they left out the complete story line of Hagrid’s dragon Norbert. Do not get me wrong, I loved the first movie, but compared to the book, I found it to be a little disappointing. In “Chamber of Secrets,” Kloves did not go into the Dueling Club and failed to mention some characters among other things.
    Since the books contain a lot more that can fit into a typical time frame, I think Kloves shortened things just right without leaving anything too important out that would take away from the book.
    The young Rupert Grint beautifully brought the character of Ron Weasley to life. He provided the comic relief that had the audience rolling. Grint’s facial expressions were worth a hundred laughs. It is good to see the characters growing up a little and finding out who they will become in the end.
    “Chamber of Secrets” begins back in the muggle-world at the Dursley’s house. They still treat Harry badly, but at least he does not have to live in the cupboard anymore. Ron and his twin brothers rescue Harry and take him to live with them for the rest of the summer. Once Harry returns to the magic world, he realizes he is not the only celebrity that will be at Hogwarts.
    Professor Lockhart is famous for his incredible books that tell his heroic journeys in defeating the Dark side. In the end we find out the truth behind Lockhart. Back at Hogwarts we learn the meaning of Parsel-tounge, why Hagrid got kicked out years ago and what and who is behind the Chamber of Secrets.
    Harry begins to wonder if he should have been in Slytherin instead of Grynffindor. Could he be the one causing all the trouble this year? Or is it Hagrid or Malfoy? Could He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named be back to settle the score?
    Well I am not going to ruin it for you; you will have to go see it for yourself. Better yet, read the book.
    Even though “Chamber of Secrets” is two hours and 41 minutes, you will not get bored. J.K. Rowling has such a vivid and exciting imagination that keeps you going. If you were one to watch “Titanic” three times at the theater, you will be more than able to sit through a Harry Potter movie.
    The special effects are great, the acting is good and it will make you laugh, jump and possibly even scream. I would recommend this movie to anyone at any age even if they have not read the books. Well, that is, unless you have arachnophobia.
    If you do not understand that, just take my word or go see it for yourself. Remember, I did warn you.
    The third installment, “The Prisoner of Azkaban” begins filming in January and is rumored to be the last of the books made into a movie. Kloves has written the screenplay again, but Columbus has given the director’s chair to Alfonso Cuaron. Columbus will however produce “The Prisoner of Azkaban.”
    Since Richard Harris (Dumbledore) passed away last month, rumors speculate that the new Dumbledore could be a toss between Ian McKellen, Peter O’Toole and Christopher Lee.
    Go see “Chamber of Secrets;” you will not be disappointed. If you need an excuse, take a child, but I promise you will get more out of it than he/she will.